Dogomania

howling at midnight!!!!!!

jen

one of my dogs called Joe who is a ten yr old yorkshire terrier, this last few months has suddenly started to jump up and run around howling everynight any time from midnight until five minutes past midnight, then stops and goes back to sleep :o
I can`t figure out why!!! none of the other dogs are doing it, there are no dogs in the nieghbourhood doing it, thee are no clocks striking. :-?

does anyone else`s dog do this or does anyone have any thoughts of why Joe is doing this....he really freaks me out, especially if i`m sitting up watching t.v by myself or on the computer and everyone else is in bed :o

does he do it when you're asleep, or only when you're awake? Somethin on the TV may be setting him off (my old dog used to howl at Empire Carpet commercials) or maybe something on the PC.

My old dog used to howl at night, too, although not at the same times, because he could hear coyotes in the forest preserves....

He could be hearing something you.re not, and that's setting him off, maybe a clock chiming far enough away that you cant hear it but he can.

There could be a clock tower somewhere nearby that chimes at midnight, and the chimes usually last about 5 minutes....

he does it whether i`m asleep or awake, th t.v`s on or off, or the computer`s on or off, the house can be silent and he still does it or the house can be noisey and he still does it. It also dosen`t matter where he is in the house, which ever room he`s fallen asleep on or with who he`s gone to sleep with makes no difference at all.
So i`m wondering if he`s hearing something that i can`t like you said. It must be a clock tower or something like that but too far away for me to hear it.....i`m thinking of that theory because it`s at the same time every night, so a clock tower or church clock would strike the same time everynight. But then if it is that why does he only howl at the midnight strike? :-?

THANKS Courtnek :D

just a thought, and an odd one at that. Check with the power company and
find out what time at night they switch out the grids. We cant hear it or see it, but it causes an electromagnetic charge to come down the power lines, and animals (especially small ones, like mice) can hear it. Both dogs and cats can feel electromagnetic shifts. There might also be some company in the area (or a house maybe) that emits a high frquency tone at that time that the dog can hear, but you cant.

Quite a puzzle you have here - let us know if yu figure it out.

:)

Cortnek, that`sa good idea about checking with the power company, i would never have thought of that :D
It`s definatley something that we humans can`t hear :-?
I`ll let you know if i get to the bottom of this puzzle, but in the meantime if anyone has anymore ideas`s, i`d love to hear them :D