Dogomania

First meeting with a breeder??help

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi!
I really like whippets and I have found a good breeder. I'm not planing to have a dog soon (maybe in 3-4 years). So.. I'm going to meet this breeder but there's a problem. I don't know how to start. :oops: What to ask and so on... So I would really like if you could help me with your experience with first meeting.

Thank you

have a great time;
Nadja

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nadja!
Don't worry! Most breeders are really friendly, especially as you share their passion for the breed!
I would ask things like how much walking do they need a day, (whippits are a very active breed!!)
What sort of house would suit them best, i.e one with a large garden..
What sort of diet they need
what their temperament is like, and just basic stuff like that.
I'm sure the breeder will tell you more than you need to know!
He/she might suggest you go out together for a walk just to see how active the breed is!
Good luck & great idea meeting with the breeder first, the only thing is, will you be able to resist taking a puppy home there and then?! I dunno if I could do it! :D
Let us know how you get on!

• 1 month later...

[color=indigo]When we went to see Mick's breeder to reserve a pup, I tried a few questions on her to see if she really knew her stuff. She ended up really showing me up and told me more than the answers. If I asked if his parents were healthy, she not only told me that they were, but told em the most common concerns with the Sheltie breed and brought his parents downstairs to show them off to me and so I could personally see their temperament. Ask questions, and you should also begin research on your breed. Mick's breeder asked us some questions as well. Like what kind of yard we had and so on. It's important to know if the breeder you are meeting with knows her stuff and takes good care of her pups and parents. Good luck! :)[/color]