Dogomania

A little guidance

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I adopted a ~10 month old puppy. She looks like a Norfolk Terrier with a longer white and black tail but mostly blonde. I don''t really know about breeds. Just for curiosity sake is there an easy to understand website that helps figure out or guess breeds for mixed dogs.
Well more to the point She's been here for 6 days and only has barked about 4 times when strangers come inside. I have 2 toddlers
and of course are never unsupervised with her; they are very gentle and understanding about giving her space. She seem's to be doing very well and is housebroken (++).
So I guess My questions are:
She lays on her back as soon as I try to leash her and is very submissive, is that a sign of abuse?
If she was previously abused is she more likely to act out?
She seems relatively comfortable and very calm (not complaining) will this change in time?
Should she be sleeping inside?
She follows us everywhere and sleeps on the exact middle step of the staircase.
She already feels like the fifth member of our family I'm just a little anxious since I have no idea what to expect. So any input would be great + or -. (Doesn't seem like I ever reached an actually point.)

Well firstly welcome and congratulations on
the newest memeber of your household :lol:

She may not have been lead trained at all in the past,
just start from scratch and make it fun.
It is not unusual for pups to lay on their backs in subission because they
dont want to do something :lol: it does not mean she has been abused
because of this.
did you get her from a shelter?
Have you any history of her past life?

Yes she should sleep inside :lol:
At the moment you are both finding your feet with each other,
she may well try it on a bit, but always be firm but fair with her.
Make all learning fun. Enjoy her she saounds great :lol:

When you get a photo of her, post it
on here so we can all guess what she is.

Yes post a photo we love this guessing game. If your worried about your kids my advice to you is let them help with the training if they are old enough. I have a almost 1.5 yrs pit bull and a soon to be 3 yrs old daughter. She gives him simple comands, sit and easy when he takes his treat from her, this helps to establish her above him in the pecking order.

[quote]Well more to the point She's been here for 6 days and only has barked about 4 times when strangers come inside. . .
She lays on her back as soon as I try to leash her and is very submissive, is that a sign of abuse?

[color=red]These two things could just indicate a dog with a submissive temperment. Nothing to worry about unless you see other problem behaviours in combination with it.[/color]

If she was previously abused is she more likely to act out?

[color=blue]Sometimes yes, sometimes no, the important thing is to play, snuggle and set down clear rules and boundaries the dog can understand. If your worried make sure you are correcting not punishing any incorrect behaviours and more importantly praise/use positive reinforcement whenever she does something good.[/color]

She seems relatively comfortable and very calm (not complaining) will this change in time?

[color=red]Probably not unless something occurs in paticular to cause it to change.[/color]

Should she be sleeping inside?

[color=blue]All dogs should sleep inside with their family if at all possible, small dogs doubly so (this doesn't mean she needs to sleep on your bed or even your room if you object.)[/color]

She follows us everywhere and sleeps on the exact middle step of the staircase.

[color=red]Following - good, she is bonding with you and sees you as the alpha wich will help with training and behaviour management. Sleeping on the exact middle step of the staricase - bad, just imagine coming down the stairs with you hands full and not seeing her. She may want a secure place to nap - in this case I would suggest a crate, put it some place out of traffic with a few of what is going on so the dog can keep an eye on things if she thinks she needs to. If you find her on the step - say no calmly, pick her up and put her in the crate (door open) and tell her she is a good girl. If that doesn't work different training methods may be needed but for your safety and hers, break her of this habit as best you can.[/color]

[/quote]

As for not actually reaching a point, no worries - rambling is moderately common here and I think you asked some good questions. Now can we have some pictures please. :D