Dogomania

Rough Play

pzoo9

My dogs play too rough!

I am worried my little female Aussie (35lbs) may cripple my male retriever(50lbs). She likes to grab his back feet and trip him up or pull him down or ram him at full speed in the hips. I know she is just trying to "herd" him. But he has ended a play session with a limp including today on several occaisions. When we adopted him (first) his hind quarters were extremely underdeveloped, which may be his weak spot she is exploiting.

I have been told repeatedly by different dog trainers that they are just playing and let them sort it out...I am not buying it. I don't want to end up with a $2000 medical bill for hip surgery for them to sort it out.

I think part of it has to do with who is top dog. I think she is, but my husband says no. He places his paws on her shoulders during their wrestle matches and even flips her. But she goes out first, etc. Do I need to enforce an order?

I have a female and a male that do the same thing. Here's some information that I've found out:

Well, this goes back years and years back to when dogs were wolves.. females are alpha over males. Males usually don't care if a female is alpha over them, but they do care if another male is alpha over them. Shadow (female) is alpha over Rocky (male) and constantly reminds him of it. She does the same to him as you have discribed.

I usually just ignore it, because Shadow doesn't totally hurt Rocky, but I break it up if it gets too ruff.

But, since your golden has weak hips you probably want to stop this. How? I'm not sure. Eek-- never had the problem so I couldn't tell you.

The easiest solution is YOU be the Alpha. She will probably dominant in their pecking order over him (goldens are so laid back) but YOU need to be Alpha over both.

Try putting a short lead on her and let her drag it around the house.
When she starts in, grab the lead, hold her by the muzzle, (an Alpha correction techique) and make her sit/lie down. I just discovered this muzzle technique by using a head collar. I can grab either of my dogs by the muzzle and they'll take it, but if you're afraid she wont try the head collar. If you think she will snap at you than definitely use the head collar.

Otherwise, put you hand around her muzzle (if you feel safe doing so) and make her sit, then lie down. You'll have to watch her behavior and do this every time.
Eventually she should get the idea......good luck!!

Dog paddle - I had the vet physically check his hips. She said it is possible there is some hip dysplasia, but the hip flexibility was good and she didn't hear or feel any tell tale popping so x-rays weren't necessary unless I felt like he needed them. I also have an check up for next week so I will have her check him out again and watch his limp. It is better, but not perfect.

I took the advice as far as being the alpha. Since Tristan's last "beating" I have done the "no" and "flip" then ended the play session when the trouble maker is doing her grab and bash move. As of today, their play as been safer. I will keep an eye on it. I probably need to establish more dominance with her anyway. She is a pushy little thing.

I just needed another vote of confidence that it is ok to intervene. I don't want to cause an escalation that results in having to keep them physically separated at all times. Thanks a lot guys. I feel much better.