Dogomania

Spot's Stew

cairnmom

Anyone ever hear of this food?
[url]http://www.healthypooch.com/bybrand/halo.htm[/url]
It sounds good if rather expensive. But, Frodo would only eat a can a day probably...maybe? He is going to be 12 lbs full grown roughly. Is 7.5oz of food enough? Or would he need two? Still though, that is less money than I spend on food for lunch every day :oops:

Thanks in advance,
Jessica

Hi. I just bought some for the first time this weekend at $2 a can. I mix a little wet with dry at meals. Anyway, it is not like "normal" wet food. It is actual stew! Chunks of meat and whole veggies in a gravy. It smells good enough to eat yourself. The dogs love it. I think you would need to feed 2 cans a day if you fed it alone but if you mixed a little kibble in you could feed 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 at night. I only used a large spoonful over about 1/4 cup kibble. I do think it might cause a little bad breath. Mary doesn't normally have bad breath but I have noticed it the last few days after feeding her the stew.

It is really good food. Halo is an awesome company. I have used many of their products. Here is there website: [url]http://www.halopets.com/[/url]
Let us know what you decide. :D

Right now he probably eats 1 cup of Eukenuba a day. He is 9-10 lbs. I was thinking maybe feeding him the Stew at night but leaving 1/2 cup of kibble out in the morning for him. I want to switch over to Wellness eventually (or Wysong) for kibble too. I can always donate his extra bags to the Human Society.

How are your dog's poops on the food? Guess I am worried about them being loose with this kind of food. :oops: I have enough problems with Frodo pooing in the house as it is. Its cold and he doesn't like to stay outside long enough to go.... :D Like -5 F

Thanks

Cairnmom - I think your plan sounds fine.

I feed Wellness dry, and either mix in a little Wellness wet, Spots Stew, veggies & yogurt, or applesauce. I have a 16 lb Jack Russell Terrier. She eats 1/4 cup wellness kibble w/ the spoonful of wet 2 times a day. I try to mix it up for her. I have not noticed any change in her stool whatsoever. I can feed alot less because of the better quality.

When you change from euk to wellness be very careful. The body is working very hard right now to process the euk. When you change to wellness you will see an increase in frequency and loosening of the stool. If you do a gradual change over, mixing the two foods in increasing increments of new to old over 3 weeks, you can minimize these problems. After eating nothing but wellness for about 10-14 days you should see a stabilization. I recommend going to the wellness website and reading the FAQ's. It will better explain what to expect and why the stool is different on wellness. It is very beneficial for the dog. I have had no gland issues with Mary, which can be very common in all terrier breeds.

Good luck and feel free to ask more questions.

Well, now I just have to order some Wellness and have it shipped. I just want Frodo to be healthy and have a better coat. It seems dull and I know Cairns aren't a glossy coat breed but it should be a dull gleam if you know what I mean.

I probably could make this stew myself but I have more money than time at this point in my life :) I don't even cook for myself :oops:

I will gradually switch his food over. He seems to poop a lot so maybe this will help too.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Jessica

Guest Anonymous

It would be much cheaper to make your own and it really doesnt take that much time. Heres my recipe, simple and easy...
boil .5 package of chicken legs with a head of cabbage and bag of carrots. I bring it to a boil then turn it down to a simmer. After it comes to a boil throw either pasta, rice, or both into it. Leave it on until the pasta/rice is done. You can actually leave it on for quite a while. Drain it. You can either pick the bones out OR if you cooked it for long enough to soften them up, leave them in. Throw some brewers yeast, garlic powder (for the fleas), and whatever vitamins and nutrients you want him to have.
Also mix a LITTLE dry dog food in with it. It doesnt take long to prepare everything to cook and after you get it started you can ignore it. The best thing is you will know exactly what is in your dogs food. You could eat it if you wanted too. My dogs eat this cooked food everyday and are extremely healthy. You can freeze it so you can make a large batch at the beginning of the week and not worry about cooking for your dog for a few days.

EEEK! Cooked chicken bones?? Pasta? Sheesh no way here. Sorry, but I would NEVER feed cooked leg bones and why bother going to the trouble if you are going to through overly refined foods in like pasta? And kibble?

Here's what I do -
buy a chicken, put it in a pot, simmer about an hour or so. Take out chicken, cool. Take off meat and throw everything else back in and simmer for a while. Then strain. Add in chopped veggies (no onion) and herbs, and some meat from the chicken and whatever stuff like garlic, new potatoes (never russet, they're just junk food), etc. Simmer to taste.

If cooked properly and LONG enough, chicken bones will practically turn to mush. I have a pressure cooker recipe somewhere that does just that, bones and all are mashable, not hard or brittle at all.
My dogs love pasta, they don't get it very often but act like it's better than liver. They also like rice, white or brown.
We all have our own ideas and preferences, personally I'd keep the broth, bet the dogs would love it! Could freeze that too, think broth cubes.

Guest Anonymous

The meat, if cooked long enough, will just fall off the bones BUT I dont always take them out. I havent ever had a dog choke on a bone from the food I cook. Pasta is VERY good for dogs.

This is copied from a post on BELG-L
Millie's Pressure Cooker Chicken.

You take a whole chicken (if it has one of those little baggies full
of icky things inside, remove the baggie, leave the icky things) and
about a pound of veggies (chickens are usually 3-4 pounds--you're
going for a 1:3 ratio of veggies to chicken). Put into pressure
cooker with about a cup of water. Pressure cook on high for 80
minutes. Take out contents and mash well (the bones just fall apart).

The beauty of this is that you can leave the pressure cooker sealed
overnight if you don't have room right then in the fridge or you
don't have the energy to pack it into yogurt containers right then.
It sterilizes the contents of the pressure cooker and so long as you
don't break the seal, it will keep just fine overnight.

You can also do this in a crockpot--put all the above in a crockpot
(add enough water to get the water level about halfway up the
crock), cook on high for 4-8 hours and then on low for 16-24 hours
(whatever suits your schedule).

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Hmmmm']The meat, if cooked long enough, will just fall off the bones BUT I dont always take them out. I havent ever had a dog choke on a bone from the food I cook. Pasta is VERY good for dogs.[/quote]

Either way, you are oblivious to the fact that it can and will happen, and one day a dog of yours will die from a chicken bone. If that's what it takes to open your eyes adn your mind, then I feel horribly bad for you dogs.

:wink:

Wow, this stew, homemade or store-bought sounds great! Love the yogurt container idea, I never thought about using them for that. I mix wet food with dry food for my babies, but don't really like using store bought canned food, I prefer to feed them real stuff with their kibble. What would you say the freezer life is and what are the best veggie's to use, does anyone ever use beef instead of chicken (although tweedle-dee & tweedle-dum prefer chicken.)

Has anyone ever heard of Eagle Natural, I've been using this since the pups were 4 weeks old. I have never had any problems with it but have noticed that noone has ever mentioned it and was wondering why.

:angel:

• 3 weeks later...

*Gulp* :o Er, just a few comments I'd like to make!!!

Firstly... COOKED CHICKEN BONES!!!! :o NEVER, EVER feed cooked chicken bones!!! Ok, the pressure cooker is one thing, bones that are mush wont exactly splinter, all they might do is add a bit of extra calcium etc and I don't see the harm in that.
I know you may have never seen one of your dogs choke on a chicken bone, but the chances, if you keep feeding them, your dog will one day choke ARE VERY HIGH!!!! Please, PLEASE stop feeding cooked bones!!!!!
I understand that alot of people don't like feeding raw meat, so I wont push it, though I will say that I personally swear by it myself.
Secondly, Pasta is NOT very good for dogs, it provides basically no nutrition to dogs at all and all it does is fill them up with carbs wich they don't even need and which just take up space that could be used for more wholesome foods. Dogs get their energy from fats, not carbohydrates. Carbs may merely lead them to be hyperactive.
Thirdly, I'd like to address the "whole veggie" idea. Sure, it looks good to us, but dogs have the teeth and digestive tracts of a carnovore so can't break into the cell wall and get all those nutrients out of veggies. Ever seen a cow or a bunny eat? They chew up their food and grind it, exposing loads of nutrients hidden inside each cell. The only way dogs can access these is if WE blend them up for them, not just chop them, but shove them in a blender so all those cell walls are broken and the nutrients can be digested.
Lastly in relation to bad breath, simple - give your dog a raw chicken wing every day!!! :wink:
Hope I've helped :fadein:

• 2 weeks later...