Dogomania

Luka's breed

Luka-pop

Here's a pic of Luka (more coming soon!). Lemme know what you guys think he is. The shelter said he was a lab mix. I think there's German Short-haired Pointer in him. Or maybe something like a setter or spaniel, because of his reddish coloring. He points his tail up into the air when he sees small animals or other dogs. I thought that maybe he had some bird dog in him. Lemme know.

[img]http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/1486307.jpg[/img]

[img]http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/1486430.jpg[/img]

[img]http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/1486407.jpg[/img]

Except for coloring, he looks ALOT like Frebee - I have kinda determined
that she is part lab, and part short haired pointer. We know the father was
a lab, but the mother was a mix. (an ooopppssss on the part of the owners; the yellow lab is a purebred)

And she was trying to pass them off as purebred Shepherd's! Whoever heard of a Shepherd with floppy ears?

Does Luka point? The tail raising is a bird dog trait.

Check out my avatar and compare - they seem to look alot alike.
I'll try to get a frontal photo for you.

Well, I'll give it a shot - this is speculation of course....

Everyone (and thing) with black hair/fur has an underlying color of red.
That's why people with dark hair have a hard time lightening it. It gets through the black and thin hits red....

So speculating, maybe a dark colored pointer (black and grey perhaps)
and a yellow lab? The fur might come out reddish and that would account for the white stripes....

:-?

Freebee's dad was a yellow lab, but the mother was all black. Black is the
dominant color in animals, but maybe a few recessive genes acted up there... And the way I understand it, if you mate a black lab to a yellow lab
most of the puppies will end up black, but there still may be some yellow ones.

well, i'd say he was a........beautiful dog with a georgeous face. i am not the one to say what he is, there are tons of people on here who know a whole lot more than i do, but there is something in his face and coloring, esp his being so red and having that dark eyeliner, that makes him look sort of boxerish to me.
what kind of build does he have ?
what is his personality like ? any distinctive traits ?
how old is he how much does he weigh ?

i'm not trying to bombard you with questions but i know aswers would help the others help you figure out what he is...........:)

Good eye Marble - you're right he does look "boxerish"...could be some Boxer in there Luka...

send us his "specs" (sorry, been around computers too long)
maybe someone else could be more definitive

So far, possibly lab, possibly pointer and possibly boxer. Interesting combo....

Luka is 58cm/23in at the shoulder (just measured). and he is 58lbs. Personally, I don't think he has any boxer in him because he has a very thin streamline and light build. His dogonality is, well, very submissive and gentle. He will become playful and energetic when he gets excited. He has red specks on his throat and feet (a setter/spaniel trait-ticking). I wish I had better pics of his entire body, so that you guys can see. Cheetah, who's with me fighting for the computer, agrees with me that if you saw him in real life, you prolly wouldn't think there's boxer in him. His build just doesn't give that impression. The bottom pic makes his "eyeliner" look darker than it really is. He also has a pink nose, which is also a setter/spaniel trait. I wonder if he has liver GSP in him cuz of his redness, except that liver GSP are much darker.

Could be German Shorthair in his mix. Here is a photo of my girl Brittany, she is GSP mixed with Australian Shepherd. Perhaps the Aussie in her is why she has so much white.
The ticking is also a GSP trait. Brittanys legs are heavily ticked.
[img]http://members.toast.net/agilk9s/Britt_posed_210x210.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Carolk9s']I've often wondered where the heck Brittanys ears came from!
Luka is a very handsome fellow![/quote]

Thanks Carolk9s! They're cute ears aren't they... And sorry girls, Luka already has a girlfriend. It's Cheetah's pit bull shepherd mix :lol: ! They were great together! And don't worried, they're both fixed. By the way, Luka's feet are webbed, a lab trait?