Dogomania

Nipping

eggrolyn1223

I don't know what's got into Duck but she keeps on biting/nipping me and other people these days...ALOT.Everytime I try to pet her, she jumps up and nips my hand.I've tried ignoring her, and screaming ouch, but those didn't work.Before this started happening, she would nip and I would squeal, and then she would stop, but now she just looks at me and starts barking really loud, and jumping up to nip..I really need help, cuz I have no idea what to do now.. :oops:

Try this - when she nips, grab her ear and pinch with thumb and forefinger;
then say NO loudly and forcefully. follow it up with "BAD DOG" and then
ignore her. Only pay attention to her when she "apologizes" by looking contrite. This is how the pack would treat her. Unfortunately, you have to pinch hard enough to cause a small amount of pain. She might yelp, dont
let it affect you. She will come around. I've had to do this with both of mine, they handle it and get "straightened out"....

in the pack situation, the ear gets bit for "reinforcement" of the pack
rules....

good luck!!

Guest Anonymous

What you need to do is grab a loaded shotgun...... Oh, wait a minute. nevermind. :black:

Depending on your dog you may need to acutally work really really hard on this because if you feel bad like i do its so hard to ignore your dog when they feel bad and give you the big soulful eyes. Is this a recent behavior or is this something sinve puppyhood?

Rott is right - it IS hard to ignore them when they look all sad and pitiful. But you have to. This teaches them that their behavior is unacceptable and only if they stop will you be happy. Mom dogs do this with the puppies all the time. And higher pack members do it with "uppities"...

It might take a couple of lessons before she gets it, but it's in everyone's best interests to make her stop. I am a firm believer in NEVER allowing
a dogs teeth to make contact with your flesh.

I used this to teach my dogs to take food gently from my hand. They werent really trying to bite, but they needed to learn that they cant touch me with their teeth.

When we first sent Tyr to his new home he was nipping at the kids heels when the played. He would get excited, they would be playing, running, he would nip, they would squeal and move quickly, he would think they were still playing, he was getting what he wanted. What seems to be working for them is when Tyr nips the stop moving completely and say no in the deepest most seriouse voice the kids can muster, wait about 2 seconds and walk away and don't play with Tyr for at least 3 min.