Dogomania

Inhumane Society?

Carolk9s

Thanks! I was able to read the article. It was very disturbing, but sadly not much different than what happens to a lot of shelter animals around the country! The local shelter where I live went to no-kill some years ago, and also removed drop boxes from the front of the facility. However, they still have a problem with people dropping off animals in boxes!! Can you imagine!

I was looking around at PetFind this morning and came across information on dogs in a Lansing, MI shelter that had gone to research! The dog's pictures were still shown along with the research notation. If they don't get adopted out, they go to medical research. They had a long paragraph included under each dog's description explaining that it was not their decision to do this; it was due to a law in their county! In one case there was a desperate plea for a particular dog to be adopted because "he is not liked by one of the center's staff!" Inexusable!

Here in the US our society is infected with the idea that animal life is disposable. Too much of a bother to train? Get rid of the dog! Too expensive to feed? Get rid of it! Doesn't like the new baby? Get rid of it!
Did it pee on the floor one too many times? Get rid of it! We as a nation are at fault for allowing this to take place.

It should be no surprise that this attitude prevails - all one has to do is look at all the nursing homes and foster care facilities we have. Since we have the throw away mentality about our children and our seniors, is it any wonder that we dispose of our unwanted pets? We are human, but we are certainly NOT humane!

:cry: :cry: :cry:

[quote]It should be no surprise that this attitude prevails - all one has to do is look at all the nursing homes and foster care facilities we have. Since we have the throw away mentality about our children and our seniors, is it any wonder that we dispose of our unwanted pets? We are human, but we are certainly NOT humane! [/quote]

:thumbs: I could not agree MORE with the above, well put! And it's so sad, if you try to explain this to some people, you get a blank stare, either they don't get it or they think it's a perfectly ok way to be.