Dogomania

PuppyFind

bk_blue

Will this madness ever end! :x
Sheer morbid curiousity made me look. 94 week old Malamute is a puppy?
To who? Care: minimal grooming? Yeah right, in a perfect world. :lol: Boy are these people in for a world of shock when they see how much these guys shed. I didn't make myself look at any others. Would lose my mind.
Who dreams up this stuff?

You have a point Poofy... but I was under the impression that good breeders do not need to advertise much... the way they do it here is through the affiliated club website eg. Weimaraner Club of Vic. will have lists of litter expected, litters whelped, and studs on their website. If you ring them up wanting to enquire about puppies they send you out an info pack as well. Doesn't seem like you would get that sort of care from that site. :-?
The other issue I have is that people are too lazy to do their own research ie. ring breeders, speak to people, visit breeders beforehand and check out their premises, do lots of research- they think the net has all the answers and while it's these people's fault for being lazy and uneducated, these breeder sites have a lot to answer for. :evil:
I do not claim to know much about breeding but what I DO know is that there are too many unwanted puppies and dogs in this world, and it seems almost irresponsible to have a site dedicated to the buying and selling of puppies. JMHO.

Guest Anonymous

God that's just wrong... really discusts me. They should put all that web space to good use, like advertising about SPCAs, or having links to GOOD sites about the breeds ect!

You said:You have a point Poofy... but I was under the impression that good breeders do not need to advertise much... the way they do it here is through the affiliated club website eg. Weimaraner Club of Vic. will have lists of litter expected, litters whelped, and studs on their website. If you ring them up wanting to enquire about puppies they send you out an info pack as well. Doesn't seem like you would get that sort of care from that site"

Many breeders don't but it doesn't mean that we shouldn't That is one of the problems and why people go to the less then ethical breeders. I think good breeders should advertise, wether they have puppies or not...they should be accessible...they should be there to help people find what they want. The average person doesn't know about clubs etc. And those who do look at the clubs think that its for a select person or some one just looking for a show dog.... I run ads in MANY place...I also operate a breed information center....Its not about selling my puppies...its about helping people find out the FACTS about the breed. Many people who contact me find out quick a chin is not for them.

You said: "The other issue I have is that people are too lazy to do their own research ie. ring breeders, speak to people, visit breeders beforehand and check out their premises, do lots of research- they think the net has all the answers and while it's these people's fault for being lazy and uneducated, these breeder sites have a lot to answer for."

Thats just human nature.. A lot of it is ignorance. You grow up your whole life you see dogs in pet stores. When you want to buy furniture or a house? or a car or any inanimate object we are started from child hood you go to the "store" or you look in the "magazine" and now a days "online." There is no seperate lesson planned for pet ownership...and my feelings are...the responsible breeders need to cast off this "good breeders don't advertise attitude" and get their butts out there and let the public know where they are.

You said: "I do not claim to know much about breeding but what I DO know is that there are too many unwanted puppies and dogs in this world, and it seems almost irresponsible to have a site dedicated to the buying and selling of puppies. JMHO"

Yes there are too many dogs and cats in the world...I can agree with you there. But the majority of the pet population problems, a *big* majority comes from dogs breeding indescriminately producing mixes or pure breds bought on a whim from people who should not be breeding. Good breeders will take back what they produce and they try to make ways for them to get their dogs back. Contracts, microchips, etc. If good breeders would make themselves stand out, so that the public could find them...then the good breeders could first, educate the public as to whether or not the breed is right for them...second, spay neuter pets and set forth the expectations of a responsible dog owner...and third be there to take the animal back, if they no longer wanted it...so it doesn't ad to the shelter problem.

OK I agree with you there. It seems to me that the people who advertise the most are the evil puppy farmers and BYBs. :evil: Not a week passes where there's not an ad for "xxx puppies" "xyz pets" etc. Responsible breeders could be doing themselves a favour by raising their profiles and I suppose in some ways dismantling the elitist tag a lot of them seem to have. BUT then if you were looking for a particular breed of dog wouldn't the first thing you'd do would be to contact your local breed club? (but as you said most people don't know about them... still if I was a dog person I would make it my business to know as much about the potential breed as I could and that would mean contacting the club- I guess it's hard to imagine not being educated about dogs, since we've always had them).
I also feel that puppies are not a commodity to be traded on the internet, as are any other living creatures. It's not quite the same as looking at houses or cars or makeup on the internet. I just wish that the sites that advertise puppies would realise that, and not allow the hoi polloi to charge a puppy with the Amex without any sort of assessment or checkups on either side.
I hate the fact that there are too many unwanted animals around... that is why I will always spay and neuter my pets. Since being involved with this forum I've also pledged to only adopt from shelters and/or breed rescue. I do not have anything against ethical breeders- but I would rather save a life this way than get a puppy who will almost certainly be bought and, in the case of ethical breeders, kept on and not PTS or dumped. I just wish there were more responsible pet owners and breeders around!