Dogomania

Best Toys

Luka-pop

Who's dog has separation anxiety?  

1. 1. Who's dog has separation anxiety?

• Currently have
    • Used to have, but trained out of it
    • Never had

What are the best kinds of toys for a dog, especially if they have EXTREMELY severe separation anxiety and are going to be left alone? :( Rawhides, kongs, squeaky toys, tennis balls, safe stuffed animals, chewing toys, toys that record the owner's voice, toys a dog has to work at to get treats (like a yuppy puppy), etc. Are there any specific toys that would catch a dog's interest and get his teeth away from the crate bars and would keep him occupied while we're gone? And for kongs, how much peanut butter or cream cheese can you use in a day? I'm sure over feeding it is very bad, but I want it to last the duration of our absence... What to do? I mean this dog can't even be left alone for 5 minutes yet, :o which I guess is more a training problem, but we have to leave the house at some point or another... Yeah, I also have a message about his separation anxiety... somewhere. :-?

Best toy Kong with a tablespoon of PB or spreadable cheese (many brands have less salt, fat and sugar than PB.) Keeps them chewing and occupied.
Also good - dental kong, kong with cotton rope through it. And/or cloth/towel with your scent on it for bedding - be prepared to loose this towel, should have no tags, stitching etc. For best effect this item should be accidentily left on or near the crate as your busy getting ready to go out so the dog can pull it through the bars and take revenge on you for leaving it alone. :oops: :lol:

[quote name='Luka-pop']What are the best kinds of toys for a dog, especially if they have EXTREMELY severe separation anxiety and are going to be left alone? :( Rawhides, kongs, squeaky toys, tennis balls, safe stuffed animals, chewing toys, toys that record the owner's voice, toys a dog has to work at to get treats (like a yuppy puppy), etc. Are there any specific toys that would catch a dog's interest and get his teeth away from the crate bars and would keep him occupied while we're gone? And for kongs, how much peanut butter or cream cheese can you use in a day? I'm sure over feeding it is very bad, but I want it to last the duration of our absence... What to do? I mean this dog can't even be left alone for 5 minutes yet, :o which I guess is more a training problem, but we have to leave the house at some point or another... Yeah, I also have a message about his separation anxiety... somewhere. :-?[/quote]
I wouldn't let a dog have a rawhide unsupervised, because if they pull off a piece and choke, you're not there to help them. You also have to be careful with squeaky toys (some dogs will eat the rubber/plastic and and up with blockages), tennis balls (the normal size ones are perfect for a medium/large size dog to swallow/choke on, and they can pull off the "fur" and eat it), and stuffed animals (if they get a hole, the stuffing will most likely be pulled out, and may be eaten). Most dogs have a hard time demolishing Kongs, but some can. I guess what I'm saying is to try things out while you can supervise, and make sure they're safe for him before you leave him alone. Out of curiousity, is the crate in a corner? Or more out in the open? What would probably work best if you need to have the Kong last a while, is to pack it with a variety of food (dry, canned, whatever), with just a few layers of peanut butter/cream cheese to hold things together, then freeze it so it's harder to get out. You may have to start out with it being easy to pull out at first though. Then feed him a little less at regular meal time (taking out how much you used in the Kong).