Dogomania

Canoeing with dogs

DogPaddle

Alright its nearly time to make reservations for this summers canoe trips so I'm getting excited again.
Does anyone else canoe/trip with their dogs?
What do you do with them while portaging? Kavik gets startled by other canoeists on the portage and barks at them some.
Do you have packs and lifejackets?
Do you do anything to protect puppies feet?
How do your dog(s) behave in the canoe?

We camp at state parks mostly, but we did go up to crater lake where we learned dogs can't even go on hiking trails! :mad: They can only stay on paved areas! :x
We fish from the shore, and sometimes from our boat. Winnie likes to swim, and scare off fish! :lol: Winnie has only been in the boat a few times because she moves around to much and she jumps out! :wink: That's a lab for ya.

I can understand dogs having to be leashed but why on earth are they not allowed on the hiking trails . . . and why is paved ok instead.
Kavik was very reckless in the boat (canoe) when we first started. We had to have him sit in the bow between my knees. He is better now but he is also a smaller dog so is less likely to send us swimming when he jumps ship. He has only done this once as, while Kavik is very keen on wading, swimming makes him nervouse. (He was only 9 months the last time we had him in a canoe or swimming though, maybe he'll warm up to it.)

We don't have a canoe, but in summer we take Goo and sometimes Annie out fishing in one of the little boats (one is an 8' sailboat without a keel, so it's similar to a canoe in stability :lol: ). Goo usually just lays down or sits and watches, and I try to keep her in the center of the boat. Depending on how far out we go, sometimes Goo wears a life jacket (simply because I don't think I could keep both her and me out of the water if we tipped), and sometimes she doesn't. If the area you're canoeing/swimming in has any areas of fast moving water or if it's cold, it's definitely a good idea to put a life jacket on him. You might want to consider it too, if he doesn't swim a lot, since they can get tired pretty quick. Goo is usually pretty good in the boat (last summer there was a big snapping turtle out by where we fish, and she would watch him the whole time, barking and whining if he got too close), but I doubt she'd jump overboard, since she doesn't like the water much. We have to watch Annie carefully though, because she'll jump over after anything that moves (fishing lines, dogs, fish, and probably the big turtle :o ) if she gets the chance.

We have a pack/saddlebags for Kavik and you can put foam blocks in the sides for floatation. We had planned to use them in fast or cold water but had not thought of the getting tired thing. We'll have to put them in next time, Kavik really doesn't swim a lot. Usually his pack has his food in it (I have to portage mine so why shouldn't he) but I'm not going to switch that all around every portage so we'll just have to carry some of his food for him. (should have got a bigger dog then he could have carried some of my gear too :lol: )

Maybe you could put his food in sandwich bags, so it'd be easier to switch it?
Mei-Mei, last summer when we would take Annie and Goo out in the little boat, we had to hide the bait bucket, because Annie would tip it over and chase the shrimp around the bottom of the boat :lol: