Dogomania

My husband is taking him to the vet TOMORROW!!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Please someone??? I cannot bear the thought of George (MY St Bernard) being killed tomorrow. I have to do something!! Does anyone have any ideas???
I am desperate!

sorry, i just saw the first post...have you taken george to the vets to see if this is hormonal or if he has some sort of medical condition that may be causing aggression? is this sudden, or has he ever had these tendencies before? have there been any drastic changes in the household lately? sometimes a good vet can even recognize that "bad" behavior is being caused by an imbalance in something as simple as vitamin levels!! are you opposed to training? or have you tried that already? i can understand your fear of liability should george make good on his threats, but you need to check your options first before taking such drastic measures. at the very least...take him to the vet for a [color=red]chekup[/color] before you take him in for gas!!

someone here may have better advice for you...sorry, i'm not the most knowledgeable person here for aggression problems!! :oops:

You need to enlist the assistance of a vet and trainer and work through the problem. I mean a dog doesn't just suddenly become vicious. There has to be a reason. Keep him away from all people until you figure out what is going on.
There are other people on the forum who can answer this question better than I can. K has Saint Bernards, hopefully they'll see your post.

Your husband can not just take the dog and have it PTS without you agreeing to it, don't let him do it. The dog has obviously got a health problem as dogs don't just turn savage overnight for no reason.

Have your vet give the dog a full workup, particularly a thyroid panel. It is not responsible dog ownership to have a dog PTS without first checking what the problem is. Why is PTS the only way your husband can see to deal with the problem. Has the dog been attended by the vet in the past? it is up to date with shots, worming, flea medication, heartworm etc.,

Has your husband had a problem with taking the dog to the vet before? PTS is not the way to go, he is not giving the dog a chance. I really feel for you and send good wishes and good luck your way. Please keep us posted. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Guest Anonymous

What measures have you taken to find out why your 3 yr. old has started doing this? Is it a recent development or have you noticed this over a long period of time? PTS because of snapping or biting is always a last resort measure. Your dog may be ill or hurting and you are not aware of it. did you socialize him well during these 3 yrs. or is he mainly just in the house or yard w/you and your husband? Did he go to formal obedience classes, which IMHO is necessary for all dogs for socialization skill building,etc? How old was he when you got him? If you got him before the age of 8 wks., this could be the reason? I know some other people have recommended a trainer, and I do disagree with them at this point. I believe your dog should be evaluated medically (physically & neurologically) by a reputable vet, and if he/she cannot find a possible reason for the agression, a call to an animal behaviorist is the next step and they can offer a lot of help and solutions. I wish you luck, but please know, and I don't know that this is in regard to your dog, but way too many dogs are simply PTS because of poor ownership, and that being not that one doesn't love their dog but because they had no clue as to how important socialization is. Have you called your breeder? If he/she is a reputable breeder, they may be a big help to you. Being PTS because of aggression w/o determining a possible reason is very unacceptable, and I do agree if it is your husband's decision and not yours at this point, there will be many personal problems ahead for you and your husband. Good luck, and I do feel for you.

Makes you wonder doesn't it. I tell you if my husband tried this on with one of my dogs his life would not be worth living after I finished with him.
Actually he did try a little animal abuse many years ago and I managed to rehome the bastard. Can you say bastard on this site, cos that's what he was.
I fear the dog has been PTS since we have not heard from the original poster. What a waste of a beautiful dogs life.