Dogomania

Fila Brasileiro

wildbunch

I ran across this link and I believe this woman should not be breeding. Number one, her first breeding was "by acciden" OOPS. Number two, she's breeding to make more aggresive dogs.
Ugh. I don't have experience with the breed but went to several sites on the breed and did alot studying up after running across this womans site.
[url]http://www.filabrasileirodogs.com/beethoven_story.htm[/url]

One quote comes to mind:
[i][b]What a shame because he is so perfect. So I didn't breed Beethoven. Then one morning I heard my female Fila cry out, I rushed out the back door to find her and Beethoven in holy wedlock! I was so upset! Then my son said "Don't worry mom they will be great pups and maybe he won't throw the white! I said, "Oh yea sure!"

Well my son was correct! Beethoven's pups all had a full black mask, a small amount of white on their chest. All the puppies had big heads, large bones, and where very massive. That first litter of Beethoven's puppies are 2 years old now, very large 175 to 190 pounds, and very aggressive like Beethoven.[/b][/i]
Any of you have experience with this breed?

Who ever would have thought that leaving an intact male unsupervised in the yard with a bitch in heat would result in a mating????
Who could ever predict something like that???

The above must be read in the most SARCASTIC tone possible.

Fila's are lovely dogs to look at tho,but I wouldn't want to stumble drunk into the yard where a fila lived!!!

Guest Anonymous

Filas are a aggressive breed, and they are HUGE. Not the right mix for the average person this is another one of the dogs that I feel most people shouldnt have access to. It sounds as though she is pretty excited for it to have been an accident? I will have to say it oesnt take a rocket scientist to know that a female in season and a male will mate. It does however take a real bonehead to leave those same dogs unattended.

Thanks for the replies everyone. The more I learn about every breed the better off I am in the longrun. I truly believe this woman should not be breeding. As far as aggressivness, why do we need such an aggressive breed. There really is no longer a call for that. Am I wrong on that?

Well the real problem here is...stupid people should not own dogs. Especially intact dogs. Especially intact difficult dogs.

And now she has made more. How wonderful.

I think Filas should be called protective, rather than aggressive. They are a breed that needs socialization and discipline, as well as a watchful owner (unlike this lady) but to say aggressive...well that has such terrible undertones, like they are supposed to run around attacking everyone.

Guest Anonymous

Well most Fila breeders do breed for size and agressiveness those are the main concerns. There is a need for agressive breeds and that need is ever growing due to the crime in our society. As long as the general public and thugs no nothing about the temperment of these dogs they will be fine.I unlike other people think that you have a right to own an agressive dog just like you have the right to own a gun. It is all about responsibility and not everyone is responsible enough actually there are very few people who are responsible enough. You have to be 100% aware of you dog AT ALL TIMES and when you are not with them you have to make sure that they are 100% contained and that there is no possible way for anyone or anything to enter or exit the area where the dog is kept. If you must walk them in public places they must be 100% trained and should be wearing a muzzle. You may want to know how they can protect you with a muzzle on right?Well there are certain excercises in Personal protection training that deal specifically with muzzle attacks the dog must use his body like a football player to knock your attacker to the ground. Dogs should only be used as a last resort and even then they are just to give you some time to get away from your attacker.You must be a big person to have a dog of that size because you must be in control at all times if your dog ever ever got loose you could be responsible for the "Murder " of some one. Please remember that these dogs originated in Brasil and there is a need for them there. They are kind of like an attack Bloodhound. They would trail escaped prisoners but instead of letting the guards catch the prisoner they would do the catching and that probably was a pretty good detterent .I do breed pitbulls but I would like to make it clear that "pitbulls" american pit bull terriers should not be used for guarding or protection purposes they are way to human friendly and they already have a ruined reputation there is no need to add to it.

Guest Anonymous

If she was as concerned about not breeding her male as she says she was.....why wasn't he fixed? Seems to me this was a planned "accident". Also I do not know anything about the correct structure of these dogs.....are they supposed to be so sway-backed?

Trinity

[quote name='Black GSD']What an IDIOT. What I want to know is if that puppy "Black Magic" is only 10 months old in that pucture, Why are her "boobs" so big??? Did she breed that puppy?[/quote]

WHOA! I just went and looked ([url]http://www.filabrasileirodogs.com/filas/black_magic_do_guardian.htm[/url]) and that little girl does look like she's been bred to my untrained eye. Someone said maybe it's from her heat cycle, but I have never seen such enlarged breasts on a dog from a heat! Is that possible?

Thank you everyone. Yes the clarification of aggressive vs. protective helps immensley. I agree that the Fila would be a perfect pet for the right person, with the training and patience to handle a dog such as this.
I have found several wonderful breeders while searching and feel that I have learned something about a dog that I didn't know existed a couple of days ago.

Guest Anonymous

That is the newest addition for me my APBT trace.
So named because he is a tri-colored Blue and in spanish you get uno, dos, and treis(Trace). This is a pic of him at the breeders He is still too young to come hom eyet, I am so impatient. I cant wait.

Guest Anonymous

He is 5-6 weeks in the pic and we have to ship him(has anyone done this before) I am kind of leary but also dont plan on going to florida anytime soon so i dont really have an option. He is so darn cute and I have personlly only seen a few APBTs his color. So since I was looking into getting one anyway i had to have him. I spend most of my time emailing back and forth talking to the breeder, checking on him and his personality. He is the dominant pup(uh-oh) so that doubles my time spent training, but he is also very goofy and likes to be the center of attention. I am planning on gettingg him the day he turns 8 weeks or the weekend there after.

But I am kind of curious about shipping a pup my air, anyone know what kind of trip it is and how secure that is for him?

When living in Wyoming I made a flight to Washington state for my boss. He had purchased a yellow lab pup for hunting. I traveled to Washington and upon arriving spoke with the breeder. We went through all of the contracts (she was nervous about an out of state sale) and I went to Petsmart :oops: (I know bad!) and purchased a soft small dog carrier. I arranged with the airlines and was able to carry this pup with me onto the airline and keep him with me.
I personally would never ship one of my dogs in cargo, too scary and dangerous. I'm not sure what the options are these days

Anyways, I've looked on the web and here are a couple of links to people who might be able to better give you advice.
[url]http://www.pettransporter.com/index.html[/url]
[url]http://www.pro-pet-transports.com/about.htm[/url] (this one looks great, if I had to ship a dog this is the way I would do it.)

Guest Anonymous

Yeah the second one is a little better to me too, I just sent them an email asking a few questions that werent addressd on the site. But This looks really nice. Thanks.