Dogomania

Dr Harry on animal cruelty charges (allegedly)

bk_blue

My friend's boyfriend's mum is on the veterinary board and apparently (I have no way of proving this!) Dr Harry Cooper, an Aussie TV vet, is facing the board on animal cruelty charges. Has anyone heard of these allegations and can shed more light on it? I'd be disappointed and angry if it were true. :o

:lol:
I never really got into Harry's Practice, I was watching repeats of it recently and it was ok. So I haven't really seen much of him, maybe a good thing. :) I wonder if he takes that cap of his off to go to bed???

I suppose you've heard about Don Burke (of Burke's Backyard infamy) allegedly part-owning a puppy farm too? Now that makes me mad. :x

Actually what really irritates me is these people being prominent media figures or at least the people the more ignorant hoi polloi are going to turn to for advice about pet stuff, and they feed viewers lots of crap advice about buying pets and what sort of pets to get, when it's really all about their own interests. As far as I see it they have a [b]duty[/b] to promote responsible pet ownership- looking for a pet at the shelter or breed rescue first off- spaying and neutering- training etc. They should look more towards that instead of encouraging people to buy puppy-farmed, overpriced designer dogs with dubious background and dormant health and temperament issues.

Very nicely put bk blue.
I didn't know about Don Burke's puppy factory rumour?? Hasn't he got enough cash already to not have to do that?? He's into breeding and selling Lowline cattle, painted horses, finches, vege strains etc etc etc, looks like he might have expanded into pugs now??
He's always on about buying from reputable breeders too.

Even if its not true it's a real corker and I'm going to spread it. Let's see if its on the news in the next few days. 8)

Speaking of prominant figures and pets. Did you see on Dr Harry when he interviewed Cathy Freeman? She's got cats and she was talking to Dr harry in a really proud manner about what great hunters her cats were and how many animals they have killed. Dr Harry was encouraging her and I'm sitting in my loungeroom shouting at the tv saying "Idiots, a cat must not be allowed out at all unless it is contained to the property somehow." A fine role model she is, NOT!!
My cats have a large enclosed area where they can get out and enjoy the sun and do their business, it's connected to the house by a catflap. They never bring animals home.

didn't hear about the Dr Harry cruelty thing. That wouls surprise me.
That Katrina on the show drives me mad with her kindergarten singsong voice. You would think she was delivering her messages to the under 5 year olds.

As for Don Burke no he promotes cross breeds and interviews puppy farmers on his shows. Surely he would not be referring to them as reputable breeders. I don't watch his rubbishy show anyway. Yes I believe he has part ownership in a puppy farm and I believe so does the honourable?????????
RSPCA big mouth Wirthless who is all for exterminating Pit bulls and other large breeds.

Anne I didn't know that about Hugh Wirth. How can he be president of the RSPCA and part own a puppy farm?? He should stand down from one or the other (preferably both :D ), bit of a conflict of interest. I wonder how many of his "business interests" end up at the RSPCA... :evil:

Dodger- there is a thread on here somewhere about Don Burke and his shady dealings. I've been trying to dig up some dirt on him but no luck on the net anyway, will try in the new year. Sounds like he can never have too much money and has his fingers in way too many pies.

Guest Anonymous

Being a Vet Nurse & Dog Groomer, Pet Ambulance, Maltese & Lhasa Apso Breeder, & registered Wildlife carer, I find, along with my colleagues, DOCTOR (?) Harry Cooper to be as farcical as Steve Irwin!! Watching a repeat of animal babies only last week I found the "DOCTORS" treatment of a Wallaby Joey's skin problem, that he diagnosed PRIOR to test results as "ring worm", horrifying!! Why subject a Marsupial/Macropod to oral & topical antibiotics for a FUNGUS?? Quick & easy treatment of these problems in Macropods & Possums has been cat/kitten strength "revolution", a couple of drops onto the neck, problem treated & solved. It is not an uncommon ailment amid these species. But, obviously for the cameras, Harry had to make a deal without the cards!! And as for the "experienced" wildlife carer he visited, why the hell did she not already have the orphaned finches in the incubator? What's with the light? Not heard of a water bottle? Heating Pad? Ambiant Temps? Katrina & her 'Easy bird tamer" ways? Why a hand raised? Why not just handle them a lot as a baby? Hand raised birds' lives are significantly reduced when hand raised, they lack in nutrients received from the mothers crop feeds. NEVER get a hand raised baby, it's been STOLEN from the nest, crop fed, & never learned to be a bird. Let the parents raise it, just ask the breeder to handle it as it is raised, or, get the bird as it has fledged from the aviary nest. DR HARRY NEEDS TO GO BACK TO VET COLLEGE, ME AS A VET NURSE HAD TO LEARN MORE THAN HE TALKS ABOUT!!!![quote][/quote]

I agree sharon 2003
Dr H is a charlatan and a quack whose "credentials", I think you will find, are readily available to anyone who has ever read the back of a comicbook.
His snake oil remedies and leach therapy make good television, unfortunately, but he doesn't seem to know that science has come leaps and bounds since the days of castor oil, nettle soup and eye of toad.

I'm just waffling for the sake of it now, somebody help me!!!

I take it that Dr Harry is not everyone's favourite vet!!!!~
I actually thought he was harmless enough but am beginning to wonder. I knew the gardener was out to deliberately do harm but Dr Harry too???

Has anyone heard that the RSPCA is to take on a breeding program? It was mentioned on one of the forums that this was noted in the minutes of an RSPCA meeting. That's all we need, a government sponsored puppy mill in Australia. I stopped donating to that particular organisation a long time ago. Don't like their ethics or principles and they don't do take any action when the abuse of animals is directed at them. They just make lame excuses as to why they fail to act.

Bad vet as he may be, I doubt he'd actually be CRUEL to any animals... I dunno, I've always loved him though ever since I was a little kid and have loads of his signatures floating around the house. I'll never forget the time he was to appear at some canberra show years ago when I was still tiney... about a week before he was due my canary died and I insisted in freezing it until he came so he could have a look at it. LOL, when we finally caught up with him amoungst all his fans getting signatures mum pulled the bird out of her purse :lol: It was a kinda funny situation now when I think back to it, he told me there wasn't much he could do for it now but that he probably died of air sack mite.

I'd beleive any rumour about Don Bourke though, his guidelines to breeding:
*Find a purebred puppy
*Wait till its big enough then find another dog of the same breed.
*Let them at it.
*Wait a few months, raise the pups and sell them for more then they are worth.

What an idiot? :evil:

I thought Don Burke's philosophy on breeding was:-
Find a pure breed - Then
Find another pure breed different to the first and breed the two of them at the earliest possible opportunity and call them 'designer dogs' - Put them on the TV gardening show with their puppy mill breeder/owners and crap on about hybrid vigour and sell at a highly inflated price.
Do not under any circumstances inform the TV audience that inherited faults from both breeds may show up in the puppies.
Isn't that what BERK is about.
I wonder how much $$$$ he makes from pushing these cross breed dogs onto the uninformed. I wish the TV station would take these live animal sections out of his program and stick to gardening.