Dogomania

Miniature Aus. Shepherd

corgilady

I know that somebody was talking about this breed recently, but i can't find the thread (sorry). Here it is from Dogo, it was the "breed of the moment".... who picks the list, anyway?? .... it even says there are toy ones.... teacup australian shepherd, anyone? :lol:

[url]http://www2.dogomania.com/breed/breed331/[/url]

Ms. C (I've always wanted to say that):

I called a "breeder of Miniature Aussies" and she said she had two normal sized Aussies and just "got" mini's. She was rather proud of herself. I asked about their bloodline --- severely inbred, brother to sister for SEVERAL generations! They were "champions". :roll:

Then I finally smooth talked (okay....I tricked!!) another "breeder" into telling me that her mini's were Aussie X Sheltie crossed and registered with NSDR and the North American Mini --- whatever it's called.

[quote name='Hobbit']Ms. C (I've always wanted to say that):[/quote] 8)

[quote]
I called a "breeder of Miniature Aussies" and she said she had two normal sized Aussies and just "got" mini's. She was rather proud of herself. I asked about their bloodline --- severely inbred, brother to sister for SEVERAL generations! They were "champions". :roll:

Then I finally smooth talked (okay....I tricked!!) another "breeder" into telling me that her mini's were Aussie X Sheltie crossed and registered with NSDR and the North American Mini --- whatever it's called.[/quote]

[color=blue]Good grief![/color]

• 4 weeks later...

I know this is an old post, but I have heard about Mini-Aussies. I adopted a dog from the shelter that could pass, so I was curious too. Her fur is growing in and she is proving to be a sheltie cross.

In my research I have found that the mini-Aussie is just an Aussie line that crosses the smallest of the litter with the smallest. The AKC and UKC do not accept this line as an actual breed. They state essentially that it is playing with genetic fire. There is a breeder in our area, and the word on the street is they do not have very nice personalities.

[quote name='pzoo9']I know this is an old post, but I have heard about Mini-Aussies. I adopted a dog from the shelter that could pass, so I was curious too. Her fur is growing in and she is proving to be a sheltie cross.

In my research I have found that the mini-Aussie is just an Aussie line that crosses the smallest of the litter with the smallest. The AKC and UKC do not accept this line as an actual breed. They state essentially that it is playing with genetic fire. There is a breeder in our area, and the word on the street is they do not have very nice personalities.[/quote]

Pzoo9 --- breeding the smallest one in the litter to the smallest one, would not necessarily produce a small offspring. To reduce the size of a breed would take a very long time (many years). There are currently too many "mini" Aussies for this to have happened. Just like the "mini" Heeler, they are cross bred with a small producing breed. The "mini" heelers are crossed with Chihuahua's and are being sold as "MINI HEELERS", NOT Heeler/Chi's.

Many of the "mini" Aussies are in fact crossed with Shelties.

It could be a dwarf gene, but not likely because these "mini's" are in proportion (legs are not short like a true dwarf). And again, there are way too many "mini" Aussies for them to be from a dwarf gene.

Trust me on this.....they are CROSS bred with Shelties. A few (VERY few) may actually be just below standard small; but the majority are not.

Oh yeah, they are "registered" by a registry that was started specifically as a "mini" registry! ......just so the breeder could say they were "registered".

When you deal with pituitary dwarfism (somethig that is often seen in the GSD and results in a dog that can be the size of a Chi or in the Kalean Bear Dog) it does not mean the dogs have shortened limbs. My point in saying, its dwarfism...is that dwarfism (depending on the breed) is considered a genetic disease....if that ideal was realized by the public...would they be willing to pay, thousands, for a dog with a "genetic disease"... ;) see what I mean? :D

Hobbit -- You are most likely correct on the cross breeding with the shelties. That [u]could[/u] explain why my dog looks so much like a little Aussie, but not quite. Maybe she was a breeding program reject, or just a back yard accident. Who knows? I probably never will.

[url]http://www.mascaonline.org/History.htm[/url] is the mini-aussie party line. I am sure you are already familiar with it. It says someone got together with a veterinarian and came up with a plan to breed them smaller.

I read between the lines and assumed they bred smaller with smaller. My mistake.

I just don't buy it that it is a genuine breed.

Guest Anonymous

I was watching a frisbee show not too long ago, and there was a little girl, maybe about 8 who was entered with her "Mini Aussie". I've heard about them before, but could never really find any info. But this girl's dog was a sheltie. Well, looked like it anyway, only it's face was a little more square, like an aussie (since if i do recall, shelties faces, well mainly noses look really small, and pinched at the end right?). They actually didnt' do too bad, considering she's only been training for a year, and their both still young, but still... got on my nerves.

[quote name='pzoo9']Hobbit -- You are most likely correct on the cross breeding with the shelties. That [u]could[/u] explain why my dog looks so much like a little Aussie, but not quite. Maybe she was a breeding program reject, or just a back yard accident. Who knows? I probably never will.

[url]http://www.mascaonline.org/History.htm[/url] is the mini-aussie party line. I am sure you are already familiar with it. It says someone got together with a veterinarian and came up with a plan to breed them smaller.

I read between the lines and assumed they bred smaller with smaller. My mistake.

I just don't buy it that it is a genuine breed.[/quote]

I don't buy it either they are not a fullblood, but a cross breed.

Guest Anonymous

but hey! Didn't they make the Cockapoo (sp?) from a cocker spaniel and a poodle? (although I got really mad when I found out they tried to make it a new breed) but I'll accept it now... and since I like the aussie, I don't mind if they make a mini one, as long as "they" addmit it's not an original breed, so, like the cockapoo that means maybe naming it from both breeds perhaps?
Australian Sheltie anyone? LOL or maybe... I duno! LOL I can't think of anything else, used all my imagination at school today I guess!