Dogomania

What do you think????

Aroura

My friend Aladdin, who goes to UNI here but lives in Sydney is going to bring up his Pit in the UNI holidays so I can meet her and we can all go for a drive to the coast (us and the dogs) for the weekend.
I told dad about this and even asked him if she could spend a night or two at our house with our dogs and he's gone off his rocket!!!
He believes that it would be the end of Lily if she were to be left with a Pit, and that they'd get into a fight and be ripped apart.
From what I can gather this Pit (I havn't asked her name yet) is pretty friendly, she lives with two other dogs and never started a fight in her life... but she's unpapered and I think her breeder was a dog fighter :evil:
I have to admit, Lily is a rather dominant dog and is very protective of me (she goes crazy if I'm patting another dog and chases them of then comes and stands between us). But so long as there is no food around she doesn't start any agressive fights. Do you think her behaviour would be enough to aggrevate this dog? Do you think she would be safe? Or do you think we should not take her to the coast just to be safe?
Its one of those annoying situations where I want to take her, she's never seen the beach before, but I don't want to risk her safety.... :roll:

Just my opinion:

Lily is dominant, the Pit will be dog aggressive just by nature (she probably comes from game-bred bloodlines, just guessing); so, I think it will be disasterous. You won't have any fun, because you will be either keeping the dogs apart, or breaking up dog-fights.

Then again, miracles do happen --- and they could get along (doubt it, but they could).

[quote name='Hobbit']Just my opinion:

Lily is dominant, the Pit will be dog aggressive just by nature (she probably comes from game-bred bloodlines, just guessing); so, I think it will be disasterous. You won't have any fun, because you will be either keeping the dogs apart, or breaking up dog-fights.

Then again, miracles do happen --- and they could get along (doubt it, but they could).[/quote]

I have to agree with you here Hobbit

roo

Why not get some more information on the Pitty from your friend. Mostly they are friendly and not necessarily dog aggressive though this one MAY be. Most Pittys I see in the park are friendly and loveable. As you have a dominant dog yourself you need to find out if the Pit is also dominant - if so you may have a problem. It is in fact likely that if your friend brings the Pitty to your home it will be your dog who cuts up rough rather than the visiting Pitty. Get some more info.

Thanks guys, seems like the dog (her names Reef by the way) isn't coming up after all. Apparently Aladdins mums sick of having his three dogs at her house and so he had to get rid of one of them, at least until he gets a place up here next year. When he rang last night he told me how he was going to give Reef back to the guy who bred her (yes, he's a dog fighter) for a few months so that he could breed her, Aladdins mum wouldn't have the dog for a few months and Aladdin could get her back next year after she'd had pups and all would be good. I cut sick at him!!!! I told him how WRONG it was for him to let his dog breed and her pups to be faught etc. Then I lay up half the night unable to sleep because I was worried about the dog, until I sent him a phone message saying "don't give your dog to your friend, tell me you wont and I'll be able to sleep". Straight away he called me and told me that after talking to me (this guy would do anything for me, he would have paid for the dog to be in a kennel for three months if I'd just asked him) he'd found another friend who would take her. Apparently the dog loves this guy, she used to escape and run to his house all the time. So now Aladdins giving Reef to this other guy, who will desex her, keep her inside and take really good care of her.
So thats a happy ending to an almost disasterous story, I'm glad I stepped in otherwise she would be having pups who will be faught and mistreated.
Should I feel good about myself??? I'd take her myself if I could afford another dog!!! I'm going to visit her in 2 weeks :wink: