Dogomania

rotti behavior

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi
I have a rotti who I have had for a year since he was 6weeks old. For the last couple of months he has been jumping up on people he knows and what I think is play biting. Other than that he is a very loyal and loveable dog. I was wondering if there are any experienced rotti owners who think that this behavior is the start of aggression. I think he scares people when he does this and it seems like they don't believe me when I say that he is friendly.He doesn't growl or anything when he does it but I just don't know what to make of it.

Guest Anonymous

ahhhh, rottie adolescence :D

Has this dog been to formal training? If not, go ASAP. A rottweiler should be in formal training for up to 3 years. Mine is going to be 2 in Dec. and will be entering his third class. I do obed training on a daily basis.

Is he leashed when he's meeting people? If so, simply do not allow him to jump on people. If he's not leashed, he should be. A firm correction BEFORE his feet leave the ground while he's just thinking about jumping, and a sit command will work wonders.

Do a search on developing yourself as the "alpha" member of the pack. And I'm not referring to alpha rolls and such, but there are numerous excerises one can do that the dog understands as leadership.

We have an added responsibilty as owners of this fine breed, to make sure our dogs are good ambassadors 8) Good Luck! And be happy your dog is such a love bug that he so much wants to meet people, just make sure he does it in an acceptable manner.

I have a female Rott who is 20 months. She is my second Rott so I know what you mean. The advice to train your dog is the best advice you will ever receive. Rotts are intelligent dogs and need to be trained to live in a human environment. If you don't teach your dog what you want IN A MANNER HE CAN UNDERSTAND then he won't know what it is you require of him. My girl is obedience trained and will continue with obedience into the distant future. I can't imagine a time when both of us will not enjoy it. This breed is easily trained and they are fast learners, they love it because they love to please you but they need to know how. Please enrol your dog in obedience classes so that he will be the best he can be. You will have fun and will have a dog you can trust and rely upon to do what you want.

i have a rottie who is about 6 now and i have always found that i have to let him no who's the boss.so although you can play with them you also have to keep reminding them who the boss is.i do belive in taking them to training classes but you have to keep it up your self at home,it dose sound a bit of a worry if he is jumping up people but you must always tell him its wrong,mine use to jump up and it took quite a bit of my time but now he only dose it if i pack my chest. so keep at it i am sure you will win in the end,just remember you are the boss not the rottie :roll: