Dogomania

Breed Specific Nutrition???

Smooshie

I found this book (yes the [i]entire[/i] book..all 206 pages..in PDF format :o ) on the internet yesterday...

[url]http://home.att.net/~cusickbook/1.pdf[/url]

The author (William D Cusick) theorizes that each individual [i]breed[/i] should have a specialized diet,determined by breed origin,coat type,native climate....etc etc...he then goes on to summarize nutritional guidelines for 152 different breeds based on his findings...

I was just wondering if anyone else had heard of it or actually [i]read[/i] it,and what your thoughts are on this theory???

(Its a pdf file so I think you have to have Acrobat Reader to open it...)

• 4 weeks later...

I havn't read it yet, its still down loading.
I think the guy has a point about specific diets for specific breeds - not so much breeds as the specific dog, but I don't think tracing their heratige back is the way to go about it.
For instance, look at the typical bull dog and the typical poodle, even if they lead the same lifestyle, they are built differently etc so have different nutritional needs to be catered for.
Using my dogs as an example, Lily thrives off a diet high in fatty meat. She needs the energy and if she doesn't get that she looses weight so fast you wouldn't know what hit her.
Tessa on the other hand, thrives on more veggies, with leaner meat. Too much fat in her diet and she just piles on the weight, no matter how little I feed her.
All of that is pretty basic, and there is alot more to learn, but I'm no nutritionalist so I'll just stick to the basics!
Newfiemom, about what you said he said about newfs and fish.... raw fish has something in it that in large doses it causes deficiencys (im not sure of what it is or the deficiency it causes... got a memory block). Maybe its what they ate back then, but now that we know better I don't know how this guy, if he indeed knows anything about dogs, can be telling us that thats what we should feed without warning of the possible side effects!!!