Dogomania

Origin

deepseasnake

can somebody breakdown two things for me?

first thing, what is a wolf? and why isn't it a feral or wild dog? What is the physical differance? I dont care what "we" think or "people" say I want to know the actual differance from an Alaskan husky, and the Alaskan wolves I see when I go up there?
I read part of a really bad article in national geographic about dogs and wolves but it was chok full of scientific fact based on cheerios and alpha bit soup. I was so irretated that these people believe anything ever said by anyone who steped foot on a university I couldnt bear read it any longer. The article did not prompt this question, but it sure did make me wonder about the crap that I take to heart from that magazine.

second thing
what is the most "true" breed of dog presant today? "true" meaning oldest, untouched and most like the originals. what dogs best represent the dogs that inhabbited this earth first?
and is it possible to say what dogs DID inhabbit the earth first or is it more like, some were kinda like shepards some were like Bullmastifs and others were like pitts.

this could be a hot topic, I hope I learn some stuff :D

Deep here is an awsome website. I love this website --- the photographs are very good, the information is wonderful and it even has audio of a wolf howling. You will enjoy it, trust me!

Wolves, Dingos, Coyotes, Dogs are from the Canidae family and same Genus (Canis), they are different species > example: Canis is the genus, which includes all of them. Anyway, trying not to be too technical and boring! The website is worth your while to see.

[url]http://www.naturalworlds.org/wolf/index.htm[/url]

A wolf is the origin of all domestic dogs.A feral dog is a domestic dog that does not have a home.A wild dog, like the African Wild Dog, is a completely different species of the wolf.
For your other question, the closest kind of dog related to the wolf is a dingo.Dingos are the wild form of the domestic dog.Dogs are from wolves.They all looked liked wolves in the beginnng, but then people started wanting different looks and characteristics and bred stuff out, and in of them.For example, wolves have upright ears.There are dogs that have dropped or drooping ears, like the Lab or Bloodhound.Those were bred after the first domestic dogs, with a different look.A dog that has different size or ear shape could not possibly be the first domestic dog.I hope that helped.It'a all I've learned since when I was small.My mom didn't know until I told her last year.She was asking me why our Akita ate meat, and chewed on things as a pup, and why she digs a lot.And I told her cuz wolves did that.And my mom was like, "DOGS are from WOLVES?"She thought they were a completely different animal or something.

thanks hobbit I'll check that out, but honestly I want the technical and "boreing" stuff, I figured you would know, so if you have time and are willing :lol: please go ahead and talk about the genetics of all this because that is really what I am after

and egg......thanks I pretty much knew all that, but I dont think I was very clear in my first post, I'm mostly curious about the gene pool distance of ie a neo to "the" original molossor if there was such a thing

my wolf question was more geared toward a genetic and physical differance than a, I dont even know how to put it, visual differance or maybe dictionary differance, do you see what I mean?

and I was actually under the impression that the "native american wolfdog" was our closest relative to a native american wolf. but for that matter how many wolf species are there and what makes a wolf a wolf, and I'm not looking for, "if they live with people..." there has got to be more to it than that

Guest Anonymous

Everyone could argue for days about which breed is "the most true breed". Records have been lost and rewritten SO many times there is no way to tell. You can, of course, count out the newer breeds but there are so many that go so far back. Unfortunately dog records have not been and still arent very acurate. Just about every book, article or web site is going to tell you something different.