Dogomania

My dog does not want to be housetrained and follows me/

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

:(
I am the proud owner of a Japanese Chin, the nicest and cutest dog I have ever seen. The problem is that she does not want to be housetrained.

I tried everything, treats, bells, talking, walking etc.... She will be well trained for a while (a few days) then go on making a mess on the floor. (She usually urinates).

Just today, I went upstairs for a little while, the dog was not alone downstairs, my husband was right there. When I came back downstairs, she was sitting proudly beside my husband and had urinated in the hallway. I AM GOING CRAZY AND CANNOT TOLERATE THIS.

The other problem is that she always follows me everywhere. I was just talking to my husband and stating that she follows me even closer than the children used to when they were small

Any suggestions to correct my problems, they are starting to be big problems. (I am thinking I might have to get rid of her, even if I love her a lot)

I would appreciate all suggestions. Please send your answers to:

[email][email protected][/email]

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Micheline099']:(
I am the proud owner of a Japanese Chin, the nicest and cutest dog I have ever seen. The problem is that she does not want to be housetrained.

I tried everything, treats, bells, talking, walking etc.... She will be well trained for a while (a few days) then go on making a mess on the floor. (She usually urinates).

Just today, I went upstairs for a little while, the dog was not alone downstairs, my husband was right there. When I came back downstairs, she was sitting proudly beside my husband and had urinated in the hallway. I AM GOING CRAZY AND CANNOT TOLERATE THIS.

The other problem is that she always follows me everywhere. I was just talking to my husband and stating that she follows me even closer than the children used to when they were small

Any suggestions to correct my problems, they are starting to be big problems. (I am thinking I might have to get rid of her, even if I love her a lot)

I would appreciate all suggestions. Please send your answers to:

[email][email protected][/email][/quote]

Have you had her checked for a urinary tract infection?
And why did you get a toy companion breed known to want to be tight with her owner when you didn't want a shadow?
I find it sad your idea of rewarding unswerving devotion is to get rid of the dog!

Guest Anonymous

No advice as to housebreaking but wanted to add that my Bruiser follows me anywhere I go! He's a momma's boy so I can relate to that. Makes me feel quite good about myself often but kind of upsetting to turn around and run into a dog all the time! Ignore people's rude comments. Okay?

Guest Anonymous

August 6, 2000, I lost my best friend. She followed me everywhere; she was never without me nor was I without her. She was my constant companion, we worked together, we ate together, I slept - she slept, we done everything together --- and I miss her terribly. I will never be the same because of her death.

It is unfortunate that some people view their dogs as something that they only want around when it's convenient for them.

I would give anything to have her back, being my shadow, being my constant companion, seeing her chin resting on the tub and being able to talk to her while I took a bath, ate, done the daily chores --- just having her near me.

I am not trying to be rude, just stating an opinion.

You don't say how old the pup is?
Or how long you have had her.
Toy breeds can be clingy, any breed can be, i bet when you first got her all you did was cuddle her. Dogs are what you make them.
As to the house training, some dogs train quickly, sime have relapses.
Its all part and parcel of being a dog owner.
If you are thinking of getting rid of the pup already, then maybe dog ownership is not for you.
This may sound harsh, but sometimes the truth hurts.
Have you spoken to the breeder?
Roo

[quote name='Mei-Mei']Lapses in housebreaking are very common, especially with toy breeds. Relax, take some deep breaths and try to be patient. Dogs are extremely sensitive to the moods of their owners, and your bad mood may influence your dog's training. Be sure to praise her a lot when she does it right and I'm sure your problems will cease!
Good luck. :)[/quote]

Mei-Mei is right, dogs are sensitive to whatever emotions WE project. Even if we think we are holding our frustration and irritation in, our dogs can sense it. Any frustration can most certainly have a negative affect on your pups training. I know it's irritating, but chant to yourself, she's just a baby, with PATIENCE, PERSISTANCE & PRAISE, I will succeed in showing her what behaviour I want from her. Do you have her on a schedule? Potty time, play time, feeding time, potty time again, naptime-preferrably in a cozy crate, then start the schedule again. Consistancy is VERY important, patience with her is critical. If YOU cannot take her outside consistantly and often enough, consider the small dog litter box. My sister got one for her chi mix and her dog does use it while my sister is at work.

[quote name='Micheline099']:(
[/quote]

A couple more notes, please do NOT say she 'does not want to be housetrained'. She has NO idea yet what 'housetrained' means. She WILL want to please you if you are patient and kind and show her what you want from her.
Also, a dog that is NOT housetrained or one that has frequent relapses SHOULD NOT have free run of the house. Your pup does not fully understand yet that is it 'wrong' to potty wherever she might be, until she shows real consistancy in going outside, don't let have full access.

Guest Anonymous

hey micheline- i agree with everyone else about dogs following us eveywhere, i personally have two mutts and they are shadow dogs. one is a dobie-pointer mix and she seems to need to sit in my lap at certain times even though i have not really initiated that much because she is going to be big.
on housetraining. is she pooping in the house too or just peeing ? when i first got my four month old three weeks ago from the pound she did both. she was on a food schedule right away but it took a few whiles for her to stop pooping in the house. even after that she was still peeing little puddles very frequently for about a week and a half. there were two reasons. first, she had just been spayed and her hormones were all messed up, that part of it was normal. second, i had read everywhere that dog should have fresh water available all the time so that's what i was doing. however, my little puppy was drinking a little bit it seemed like about every ten minutes, so she had to pee very frequently (it seemed like she was peeing every ten minutes too :)and even though i was letting her out about evey hour she was still peeing. so i put her on water schedule too, after that she improved very quickly. so you may have to figure out how often to water your dog according to how much she drinks but before you get too frustrated please try this. i think it may help a lot.

Guest Anonymous

What is wrong with having your dog follow you? Do you just want a dog that is convinent fir you? Well, thats not how it goes. Lucy and Freckles follow me everywhere and i love it! There is always some one to talk to that will listen and not say how stupid I am. :lol: How old is the dog? Sometimes it takes dogs a while to be housebroken. Maybe you are doing something wrong, or she has a health problem. I think in this case it may be a good thing to get rid of her, If you cant stand her following you and cant be more patient when she is trying her best to learn.

Guest Anonymous

:o I think I was misunderstood, I do love my dog and don't mind her following me *much* I am not used to this and am always tripping on her or worst, stepping on her and hurting her little paws. That is the main reason I wish she would be more independent, not because I don't want her.

The only reason and I mean THE ONLY REASON that would make me get rid of her would be because I cannot housetrain her. I am trying other things.

for now, I keep her mostly in her crate or on a leash with me. I try to make her understand that I want her to do her business outside. I know she wants to please me, but we seem to have a communication problem.

I give her a treat each time she goes outside or that she goes while on our walks, what is happening, is that she goes pee a little bit at a time so that she can get more treats. (that part I don't really mind)

:roll: So please don't get me wrong, I do love my dog and would not try all kinds of things to housebreak her if I did not love and want to keep her.

:roll:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Micheline099']:o I think I was misunderstood, I do love my dog and don't mind her following me *much* I am not used to this and am always tripping on her or worst, stepping on her and hurting her little paws. That is the main reason I wish she would be more independent, not because I don't want her.

The only reason and I mean THE ONLY REASON that would make me get rid of her would be because I cannot housetrain her. I am trying other things.

for now, I keep her mostly in her crate or on a leash with me. I try to make her understand that I want her to do her business outside. I know she wants to please me, but we seem to have a communication problem.

I give her a treat each time she goes outside or that she goes while on our walks, what is happening, is that she goes pee a little bit at a time so that she can get more treats. (that part I don't really mind)

:roll: So please don't get me wrong, I do love my dog and would not try all kinds of things to housebreak her if I did not love and want to keep her.

:roll:[/quote]

[i][b][color=red]"for now, I keep her mostly in her crate or on a leash with me". [/color][/b][/i]

Keeping her on a leash with you is one way to watch her and be more attentive to her need to go outside.

Keeping her [u][b]MOSTLY[/b][/u] in a crate is [b]NOT[/b] any kind of quality of life for a puppy! This is selfish to keep her [u][b]MOSTLY [/b][/u]in a crate because you don't want her following you around --- no wonder she uses the bathroom on the floor. Do you scold her for following you around? She is a BABY and is looking for guidence and reassurance from her pack leader (YOU).

[color=red][i][b]"always tripping on her or worst, stepping on her and hurting her little paws". [/b][/i][/color]WATCH where you step, you know she is there --- LOOK before you take a step --- LOOK before you walk, turn, take a step.

[color=red][i][b]"don't mind her following me *much*" [/b][/i][/color]She has been taken away from her mother, her siblings, everything that she knows and YOU are the ONLY one she can look up to for nurturing, guidence and reassurance on what to do, how to do it and when to do it (life, that is).

You never said how old she was (or I missed it), but reading the post you said you just got her or something like that....then I assume that she is 8 wks old. She can only hold her urine for about 2 hours, some smaller breeds can not physically hold it that long.

[color=red][i][b]"is that she goes pee a little bit at a time so that she can get more treats". [/b][/i][/color] Maybe, but I doubt it --- could be possible because some dogs are very smart. More likely is that she has a small bladder capacity because she is a small breed dog. Another scenario, she has a bladder infection. Have a vet look into this and rule out any medical problems (like the ones that are stated in previous posts).

She is an innocent little thing whose entire world revolves around YOU, so stop acting like she is an inconvenience or place her into a home that understands small breed dogs and has the patience to treat her with the respect that she deserves.

If this is harsh or if I've hurt your feelings, then maybe it should. My intention is not that, but only to express to you that maybe this is not the breed for you. I too, would suggest on trading this precious pup in on a CAT!

:( I'm afraid I mus agree with Hobbit. EVERYTHING Hobbit said was true :(

I'll put it this way for you. It's like your a little girl, lets say 7, and your friend from ANOTHER school invites you to her Birthday Party. You go, all happy, but you suddenly realize that YOU DON NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT KNOW ANYONE THERE! You are shy, and stay back at the corner, then you see you friend(who invited you to the party), happy, you go to her and stick to her like glue, you hafto, u dunno anyone there! Soon she gets fed up and tells you to leave her party JUST BECAUSE YOU WERE SHY, DIDN"T KNOW ANYONE, AND STUCK TO HER LIKE GLUE! How would you like that? Your friend tells you" please understand, but I don't like it when you shadow me, I don't mind it *MUCH* but, you over did it. PLUS you kept going to he bathroom every minute." DUH I WAS SHY! you think as your mom enters the driveway to ur house. You NEVER talk to ur friend again and get a BETTER friend.

Now put that in DOG terms, the little girl at the party was ur pup, and YOU were the friend WHO RUDLEY AND MEANLY BETRAYED HER!

Please don't get me wrong, but i hate it when ppl do this!!!! :evil:

Liten to what I hafto say, and then after you get RID of her and decide to get A NEW BETTER dog, think of these words," When you buy or adopt a puppy or dog, you become RESPONSIBLE for him/her. You are now the PACK LEADER. You are in charge of feeding, cleaning, giving shelter, grooming, etc.etc. You ALSO must be prepared for problems. Housebreaking, gladder infection, pregnacy, etc.etc. You must ALSO be prepared for losing alot of Cash, Some ppl spend 1000$ a year for a dog. All in all you must be prepared to LOvE! "

That is just a portion of the care you need to take care of a dog.
Did you reseach the breed? Did you read ALOT about dogs? Did you keep in mind the problems you were going to face?

If you DO decide to "get rid" of her,(you really should have said, find her a better home, she's NOT a TOY!", then think how HURT she will be, while you are sitting on the couch, reading, thinking what a RELIEF it is not to have "the shadow" any longer, she is at the pound or at her new owners house thinking"what did I do wrong?". Also, by getting RID OF her, she will be MORE likely to develop problems, like sepration Anxiety and etc. Making her NEW owners get RID of her too, and straight to the pound she goes and in goes the injection then what? NO, she will not wake up, she will be DEAD just because she LOVED you and YOU couldn't tolarate it! Now, im sure, all of you are thinking "wow she took THAT seriusly" im sorry BUT i can't handle it when ppl go and "adopt" a puppy then go and say to ppl "it;s loving me too much", if that pup was mINE i wouldv'e been PROUD! :( :(

[size=2]Sheesh, were did all THAT come from??!![/size]

ANYWAY, THINK OF WHAT ALL THE MEMBERS AND GUESTS ON THE BOARD HAD TO SAY AND IF YOU"STILL" WANT TO GET "RID" OF HER THEN [size=7][color=red]DON'T[/color][/size] GET ANOTHER DOG, YOU ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE ENOUGH!

OK, can everyone back it down just a notch? Stop assuming the worst? Perhaps because of some private correspondence with Micheline, I feel she IS willing to try and learn, can we stop beating her over the head and saying NO NO BAD OWNER? Can we try and give her guidance instead? For instance, when she says mostly in a crate or on leash with me, might we ASK her just how long puppy is in the crate? I am a firm believer in APPROPRIATE crate training, if puppy is ready for naptime, the crate is a wonderful place for that nap. If I'm going to be cleaning and vacuuming, a crate in a quiet room is just the ticket.
Having the pup on leash in the house is a great idea. Perhaps Micheline is a first time dog owner? Those of us who are not are used to watching out for doggie feet, mine still get pinched now and then because they sneak up behind me ever so quietly! Perhaps is was just her fear of hurting her pup that made her sound frustrated instead.
She's asking for help, lets HELP HER.

Sorry K, wasn't picking on ya! :D
I should have said could 'some' folks here back it down a notch. Reading some of the replies, if I was new here and a first time dog owner, I might have felt slammed and slunk away thinking I was obviously in the wrong place to get help instead of hollered at.

Guest Anonymous

Okay let's get some basic information so we can try to help..

How often to you take her out?
To you have her on a schedule? For potty time and feeding time?

All dogs tend to regress in house training sometimes.. In fact until the age of about 6 months I would not consider a dog completely housetrained! :wink: