Dogomania

Dangerous dog

Aroura

My friends dog, Jess, has been named as a dangerous dog. Which means that if she is seen in public, even out the front of her house, without a muzzle and off a lead, my friend will get a huge fine and she may be put down. This dog, a red heeler cross dingo, has the temprement of the typical labradore, only friendlyer! When visitors come she just rolls over next to them and licks their hand. She never barks and is one of the calmest dogs I've ever met. Apparently she got put on the act after her owner had been on holiday for three months and she chased a few cars and a bike. Now, if she so much as wonders out the front of her house her life is at risk. Does anyone else think this sucks?

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, I do. Who was watching the dog while the owner was on holiday? Or was he home? If she was by herself, then SHAME on him. She is doing what she was bred to do --- WORK. This breed of dog is very in tune with MOVEMENT. Movement of any kind kicks in their prey drive and it's what they've been bred to do for many years. It's not her fault, she can't "TURN-OFF" her genetics! Heelers, Kelpies, Border Collies and other herding bred dogs will chase/herd ANYTHING that moves, they are not discriminate at what they herd....just as long as they get to do it!

Guest Anonymous

Thanks!

People just never cease to amaze me in their thinking. Why does someone get a bird dog, then shoot it when it kills a chicken? A chicken that is LOOSE in the yard! Dear Lord -- IT'S A [u][b]BIRD [/b][/u]DOG!

We occasionally do rescue and have recently received a phone call from a man that wants to place two Border Collies. He said, "these dogs won't stop chasing the livestock and I'm fixing to shoot them, if you don't take them!" He commenced to chew my butt out because HIS dogs that HE bought as PETS were chasing HIS livestock. Aaaaaaaauuuggghhhhhh! I asked him why on earth he bought them in the first place? His response, because they were cute.

As much as it really bothered me --- we are to capacity and could not accept his dogs. I gave him several numbers of people to call. Hopefully, he found homes for them. People like him, and others, should not be allowed the priviledge of owning a dog.

I agree 100% with everything you say, Hobbit.
The dog was being minded by a friend while he was away travelling the world. He bought this dog years ago, when he lived out on a property... but he had to move here because he got accepted at UNI here.
Its sad though, as you say, its in their nature to chase and herd. This dog happend to 'herd' the wrong person and now has absolutly no freedom in life.

Guest Anonymous

Bad friend! :o :x
Poor Jess... :cry:
It is so sad how everyone is either eager to sue or call the authorities.
These people who got upset obviously don't know anything about dogs!
:x

Chasing cars and bikes, can cause accidents,
In the Uk a dog can be taken due to the dangerous dogs act, and being out of control in a public place is one of the reasons.

What if.......................
The dog chased a small child on a bike, the child was scared of dogs and went into oncoming traffic.
What do we end up with, 1 dead child, injured innocent drivers who will more than likely be traumatized for years to come, one innocent dog and one very stupid irresponsible dog owner.

Roo

if they prove the dog is not dangerous will it come of the list to enjoy life again? i dont call a dog who as chased a car or bike dangerous, i think it is a problem as some one could get hurt like the dog. who was looking after the dog and do you know who cause you this distress.sorry but it dont sound right to me,i had a dog who chased bikes but by no means was he dangerous.i would wont to look in to this and find out the real reason.

Many ACD's bark and nip as they chase, not hard nipping, just gentle but this could be threatening to certain people.
Roo does have a point.
The reason the dog was distressed was because she is very close to her owner, and her owner was on holiday and couldn't take her.
I guess the person who was housesitting just opend the front door and off she went.
You can't proove that a dangerous dog isn't dangerous, unfortunatly.
I guess this is just one of those things that really shouldn't have happend, but just did :(