Dogomania

What if...?

gooeydog

Guest Anonymous

My brother, who has one of our pups, has a key to our house and would take care of them for us. Unless of course there was a disaster and we could't get to our home....[/list]

You're right, this is something to be aware of.
If the situation is that NO ONE can get to my house, well, they have the doggie door and water both inside and out but I'm afraid thats it.
Otherwise, if it's just that I cannot get to them, a co worker has keys to my house and the food bins are labeled as to what each dog gets fed as well as Jesse's medication info.
I have also written up an authorization form for this co worker so that if, for instance, I am in a car accident and the dogs are with me, she is allowed to take them with her or to the vets office.
Of course family also has keys to the house and a similar authorization letter from me.
I know that if any orders to evacuate came down, my dogs are going out with me, I cannot understand when people evac and leave their pets behind. I know that children and other people come first but there is no way I'm leaving my dogs behind. If it's not safe for me to be there, it's not safe for them either.

Guest Anonymous

HERE HERE! Or is it HEAR HEAR!?

I agree. And in an event of a tornado, I'm grabbing the leashes to keep them with me, and their harnesses/seatbelts for a better hold on them!

I have also thought of having an emergency kit near the door in case an emergency evacuation was necessary. In this kit I would have a couple jugs of water, dry food in sealed plastic bags to last 2-3 days per dog, copies of shot records and registration and a first aid kit. I keep leashes in my van but it would not hurt to have extras in the kit.
Now if the van is not smashed and the roads are passable, I can drive to a safe area and none of the above would be critical.
Otherwise, might be a lifesaver, just need to get a little wagon to pull it all in. Hm, maybe should get a pulling harness or two so dogs could pull wagon.