Dogomania

Training a stubborn dog for agility.

Aroura

After doing so great with Tessa's agility and realizing how fun it is I've decided to train my sisters Poodle/Chihuahua cross Puddles for it as Lily is still too young. I've set up a little course in the backyard, but as soon as I get out there with Puddles and the treat bag she wont budge! I've tried everything, from luring her with the tastyest treats to using my excited puppy voice to putting her on the lead, and she just stands there and looks at me as if to say "what are you looking at?". Its not even a matter of she wont jump as that she simply WONT MOVE! She loves dad and would do anything for him, but she does the same with him! She seems to have a phobia of having food offered at her level and her following it, she'll eat it if you put it in her mouth, but as far as taking a single step towards it she simply refuses.
Any ideas? I've tried everything!!!! :o

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Aroura']After doing so great with Tessa's agility and realizing how fun it is I've decided to train my sisters Poodle/Chihuahua cross Puddles for it as Lily is still too young. I've set up a little course in the backyard, but as soon as I get out there with Puddles and the treat bag she wont budge! I've tried everything, from luring her with the tastyest treats to using my excited puppy voice to putting her on the lead, and she just stands there and looks at me as if to say "what are you looking at?". Its not even a matter of she wont jump as that she simply WONT MOVE! She loves dad and would do anything for him, but she does the same with him! She seems to have a phobia of having food offered at her level and her following it, she'll eat it if you put it in her mouth, but as far as taking a single step towards it she simply refuses.
Any ideas? I've tried everything!!!! :o[/quote]

maybe food is not her motivator? lots of dogs respond to play or squeaky toys too
So take her out there NO leash and hang around with her. Make sure any dangerous obstacles are not in a position where she can hurt her self on them. Let her poke around and look at the peculiar additions to the yard on her own. Pre load the area with a few really smelly yummy small treats near the obstacles and IGNORE her while she checks out the new situation.
Calmly tell her good girl if she approaches an obstacle but do not over do it like you are expecting something out of her. Let her decide at her own pace that the obstacles are harmless.
Later take her one a walk away from your house on lead and see how she does having the fun of a walk with you. If she will not budge for you take along a dog who will and praise and treat that dog so she sees what she is missing.
Back at the yard have her out there while you work and give treats to the other dog for doing the obstacles. Again let her see that there is fun to be had and rewards to gain by playing with you on these weird things in her yard.
Remember most of all its agility = fun not agility = force! so its up to you to figure out what this dog sees as fun and what she thinks is a great reward. Does she like tug of war? that can be a reward. Does she like to chase a ball? that can be a reward. Does she like playing with the other dog? that too can be the reward.
Don't stress out make outfoxing Ms Wilful Puppy a game for you too :-)

Thanks. I'll keep up the hard work, although I'm not sure she will ever be an agility dog. I will take her out to the propper course and give her a go with the other doggies and see how she goes then, I think she figures that if she's in her own yard that she doesn't HAVE to move, so she wont! Out with the other dogs in an actual class she may get excited and be more willing to follow the treats.
Play isn't really a motivater for her, although she looks like a Poodle, I think she got her characters from the chihuahua (another reason not to mix breeds, you'll never get your 'perfect' dog, just a heap of mixed traits!). She's not all "come play with me, PLAY WITH ME!!!" like most of the poodles I've ever met, she's more of a "can't we just sit infront of the tellie" dog. Although she does LOVE playing with Lily and will do so all day if Tessa didn't decide to join, leaving Puddles getting squashed and pushed out of the 'play circle'.
Thanks for the tips though, I will try them but I'm afraid to say I think she will never be a super agility hero! :lol:
Oh well, for now I can concentrate on getting Tessa those tittles and in a year I can start with Lily!!! :D I know she'll do me proud, she'd do anything for a treat!