Dogomania

Pitbull Tails

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it says in the breed standard that tails should not be docked, so that might have something to do with the looks :lol: . I think the reason the standard calls for "natural" tails is because they suppposedly help a dog keep it's balance, and act as a "rudder" when turning. These things would probably be helpful to a fighting dog, so I'm guessing that's why they weren't docked. From what I've heard, a lot of pit bull breeders in the southeast do dock their dogs' tails. I guess it really just depends on where you live, and what you want to do :)

Guest Anonymous

ummmm, proubly but since I do not own a pit I do not know. I have never seen a pit with a docked tail and I don't think they are suppose to be docked.

Why would you want to make a Pit look even tougher? Its gets me why people even crop ears, its cruel and unnecissary. Lily is only docked because it is in the breed standard, but that doesn't hurt them anyway and probably saves them sore tails in the long run being the clumsey things that they are! :)

My 'not so humble opinion' is that NO body parts should be cut off/out from a dog unless there is a valid medical or preventative reason. These validating reasons would include spay/neuter, correction of an injury to the dog, prevention of an injury to the dog. There are most likely some that I've missed, what it boils down to is that I do not agree with lopping off doggie body parts for cosmetic reasons alone.
I do not care if 'that's the way it's always been' I do not care if that is the breed standard, I do not care if 'it's my dog and I'll do what I want'.
I hate it. Think it's barbaric. Ask the dog if they want part to most of their tail chopped off. Ask if they want 1/2 their ears sliced away. Where's the Pet Psychic when you need her, why doesn't she ask dogs these kinds of questions?

Guest Anonymous

Giz-

I wouldn't dock tails for Pits.
As for people saying that the dogs use the tail as a rudder. When have you seen a dog with its tail docked stumble or lost its balance doing ordinary things?

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Aroura'] Lily is only docked because it is in the breed standard, [/quote]

Well then when I get my dobie he will have no tail or ears... It calls for it in the standard. They put the dog out and they don't feel a thing. Its just the same as spaying, you spay the dog and they put the dog under and they will be a little sore but people still do that... :roll:

[quote name='Underdog'] As for people saying that the dogs use the tail as a rudder. When have you seen a dog with its tail docked stumble or lost its balance doing ordinary things?[/quote]
I don't think it affects their balance doing ordinary things, but if you look at greyhounds and other sighthounds, they use their tails when they're running, flipping them from side to side when they turn, etc. Again, I don't know if there is any validation to the balance thing, but it's something owners may want to look into.

Beagle88 can you please check with your vet about them 'putting the dog out' to dock a tail. I imagine they do it for ears but not sure about the tail.
I am quite willing to be educated so if my info in old and out of date please someone feel free to update me on these procedures.
My understanding is that dog tails are docked when the pups are about 3 days old and supposedly nerve endings are not complete and the pup experiences very little distress at the time.
Ears I believe are a different matter altogether. Isn't this done sometime after pup is 3 or more months old? What pain management is offered to dog during the healing of the ears? What is the purpose? Dobies CAN be shown with full ears in the AKC ring, while ears are 'normally' cropped it is not a requirement or a disqualification in the show ring.

ears are cropped at 3 months, they put the dog out, ussually he has to stay overnigth, the day after you pick your dog up and he/her has stitches wich you cure with any medication the vet recomends, a week or so later you take him back to remove the stitches, basically if the vet is very carefull they will not cause any pain.

Guest Anonymous

Sorry if I ever said that they put the dog out to do tails... I never ment to say that. I know they do not put the pups out with tails. My uncle is a vet. Sorry if it came out like that. Please tell me where I said they put the dog out to do the tails! And I know you can show your dobie with ears not done but it looks dumb IMO.

Well then when I get my dobie he will have no tail or ears... It calls for it in the standard. They put the dog out and they don't feel a thing. Its just the same as spaying, you spay the dog and they put the dog under and they will be a little sore but people still do that... :roll:[/quote]

This is your statement where I thought you were saying dogs were put out to have ears and tails done.
Personally I think dobes with natural ears look very nice and dignified. Dogs with 1/2 an ear look 'wrong' to me, my opinion.

Guest Anonymous

Oh sorry about that. And thats fine that you think they look good with natural ears, thats what cropping and docking is all about, looks.

[quote name='beagle88']Oh sorry about that. And thats fine that you think they look good with natural ears, thats what cropping and docking is all about, looks.[/quote]

THAT'S exactly my problem with this, is serves no benefit to the dog.
As Stiff said, girls (and) boys get their ears pierced to affect a certain look, if it's their choice, cool. I also do not agree with parents getting their 6 month old baby girls ears pierced.
If your dog wants to have his or her ears cropped, go for it. How do you know you dog isn't horrified and shocked at the surgery you've put him through so he will look a certain way?

Guest Anonymous

Oh give it up allready! It is the owners choice. Purely 100% OUR choice. If you do not like it fine don't like it. But I do like it. There is no need to agrue over it because we will never come to a happy decision. I have no more to say on this topic other than this is a forum to share opitions and now since we have done so lets move on!

[quote name='beagle88']Oh give it up allready! It is the owners choice. Purely 100% OUR choice. If you do not like it fine don't like it. But I do like it. There is no need to agrue over it because we will never come to a happy decision. I have no more to say on this topic other than this is a forum to share opitions and now since we have done so lets move on![/quote]

You are right, we will not agree on this issue. As this is a PUBLIC forum I was merely expressing my viewpoints, just as you are free to express yours. I do not apologize for my strong belief in opting NOT to cause your companions any undue pain.