Dogomania

What "tools" do you use to train your dog?

gooeydog

No the new dog is not a corgi. he is probably an australian shepherd. Or maybe just a mutt. I am trying to post pictures, will let you know if I get them.

THANKS for the suggestions on training him....he got loose again today...I had the gate open to bring a Corgi into the yard, and he jumped OVER the Corgi and took off....I tried my happy-voice "come" command, it was useless...I gave chase but the neighbors had some garbage out (THANK GOODNESS!) and he stopped to sniff it. When I get to him in these instances, he hunkers down like I am going to beat him. He did this and froze. I crouched beside him and petted him for awhile before I picked him up and lugged him back to the fence.

I had him neutered on Friday, people say that will help, but I think he has some issues becuase of his "former life" more than anything. Also I am not used to such a -- don't laugh --- tall dog.

What word would you pick for the emergency, come-to-me now word????

Thanks!

I'm lucky enough that I live right next door to dirt roads and paddocks, so my dogs have always been 'off lead' dogs when we walk them in that direction (my house is on a road where there are houses and roads on one side and paddocks and tracks on the other, so we get the best of both worlds :D ). Because of this Lily is better than many of the dogs in her obedience class when it comes to 'comming' off lead when all the other dogs are running away.
The way I taught her was simply to always have food in my hand when she came to me on her own will and give it to her, when she came when called I would give her a super big treat. Simple really. :D
The long lead is a great idea, I use that while walking her on quieter roads where there is still the occasional car, to teach her she can sniff around but not go on the road or stay too far behind.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='corgilady']No the new dog is not a corgi. he is probably an australian shepherd. Or maybe just a mutt. I am trying to post pictures, will let you know if I get them.

THANKS for the suggestions on training him....he got loose again today...I had the gate open to bring a Corgi into the yard, and he jumped OVER the Corgi and took off....I tried my happy-voice "come" command, it was useless...I gave chase but the neighbors had some garbage out (THANK GOODNESS!) and he stopped to sniff it. When I get to him in these instances, he hunkers down like I am going to beat him. He did this and froze. I crouched beside him and petted him for awhile before I picked him up and lugged him back to the fence.

I had him neutered on Friday, people say that will help, but I think he has some issues becuase of his "former life" more than anything. Also I am not used to such a -- don't laugh --- tall dog.

What word would you pick for the emergency, come-to-me now word????

Thanks![/quote]
Some people use HERE for the word some people use a foreign language word some people use something like PUPPIESPUPPIESCOME or COOKIES!
;-) I have a pack word for my herd - actually its split in two herds ALL THE LITTLE ONES and BIG DOGS and also I use LETS GO for the whole herd and LOAD"EM UP - plus the individual recalls normally done.
Having a group of dogs who are already into listening for cues helps the new dog figure out there is a new word that means come over to 'mom' and does not have ANY connotations of when you do mom is going to whack you (for some reason owners often do not 'get it' that whacking a dog that has just come when called means it won't want to come again!)
I knew a musher who took in an abused sled dog he thought would make a great leader but when he gave commands the dog hit the deck waiting for the beating those commands had meant before - I told him to just change the words so the dog was learning something 'new' :-) worked great he later told me :-)

Guest Anonymous

well my dog minnie
she was not very hard to train
she is very smart and its easier to train dogs at a early age
we use treats and lots of praise
our secret tool is our mom she praises minnie like crazy and gives her those motherly hugs
a tap on the muzzle helps too when ur dog isnt listening :D