Dogomania

HELP - biting

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

First time I.ve been on here.I've got to thank Nikki & Guest for the amusing quarrels they seem to be having !!!! lol CHILL OUT 8) 8)

We have a darling beagle who just loves to 'play bite' often to bloody hard !! We have tried lot's of these suggestions already [not the choke chain] !!

We will keep on working on it !

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Labsrcool32']I'm very sorry to here that!!!! If you watch professional dog training shows you would know the way to do this!!! Choke Chains/corrective chains won't hurt a dog's neck they're built for this. It may be a toy dog so you don't really need a chain but you can still do the corrective jerk when it bites! I would never do anything to hurt a dog!! :x [color=orange][/color][size=6][/size][/quote]

Sure you would you will use a choke collar and suggest others do likewise - just because its on TV doesn't mean its OK to do! :roll:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Anonymous']
This is a barbaric, old style of AKC training (abusing). Just because some "claims" to be a professional does not make them suitable for training. I bet these same people have never studied dog behaviour.

Put this choke chain around your neck with a leash attached, let your friend hold the leash and you two go for a walk. At RANDOM (without warning to you) let your friend jerk this chain VERY quick and hard and then tell me it doesn't hurt! :evil:[/quote]

Just a small correction here - this style of training was invented in Germany for use in training war dogs - in fact the Germans did NOT advocate use of the choke collar feeling it was too cruel they prefered instead the pinch collar as more humane method of pain training a dog.
It came over to the US with the sport of obedience training when that training first started - the ONLY model available then was the force style training - now thank heavens we have LOTS better ways to train dogs than jerking them around by the neck!

Guest Anonymous

All quiet on the labscruel front.
Try shaking the dog by the skruff, oh someone already said that
sorry.
Pups often bite in excitement, it should grow out of it, but make the dog know it is not allowed.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Anonymous']All quiet on the labscruel front.
Try shaking the dog by the skruff, oh someone already said that
sorry.
Pups often bite in excitement, it should grow out of it, but make the dog know it is not allowed.[/quote]

Pups don't 'grow out of it' and scruff shaking does not teach bite inhibition.
:roll:

Guest Anonymous

well, i must have one of those really stubborn or slow puppies or ??? I look like I've been in a fight or car accident... my legs and arms are scraped up and bruised.

I have owned other puppies and they figured out what no meant fairly quickly. I'm not sure if it has to do with his mix (great dane and rottweiller). I've heard rotty are harder to train.

When I tell my dog no in a deep voice he seems to only get more excited. He even starts growling at me. I've resorted grabbing him by the scruff of his neck to putting him on his back which sometimes works to calm him down for a while; but not long. He is about 9 weeks old now and has very sharp teeth and nails. I'm getting really frustrated which doesn't help. I work with him in the morning before work and after work.

Would it help if he had other puppies or dogs to play with like he wants to do with me? I do play with him by letting him attack sticks (actually I use palm branches since I'm here in Jamaica, which he loves). I also let him win and take it to build his confidence as I've heard this does.

I've read everyone's responses so I really just want to vent as I look at my scratched up arms. But maybe someone could help me with my specific situation. I haven't tried the chock chain b/c I think he is too young for it. Also, I want to mention i definately praise him when he is being good and not biting me.

Thanks,

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='abusser']well, i must have one of those really stubborn or slow puppies or ??? I look like I've been in a fight or car accident... my legs and arms are scraped up and bruised.

I have owned other puppies and they figured out what no meant fairly quickly. I'm not sure if it has to do with his mix (great dane and rottweiller). I've heard rotty are harder to train.

When I tell my dog no in a deep voice he seems to only get more excited. He even starts growling at me. I've resorted grabbing him by the scruff of his neck to putting him on his back which sometimes works to calm him down for a while; but not long. He is about 9 weeks old now and has very sharp teeth and nails. I'm getting really frustrated which doesn't help. I work with him in the morning before work and after work.

Would it help if he had other puppies or dogs to play with like he wants to do with me? I do play with him by letting him attack sticks (actually I use palm branches since I'm here in Jamaica, which he loves). I also let him win and take it to build his confidence as I've heard this does.

I've read everyone's responses so I really just want to vent as I look at my scratched up arms. But maybe someone could help me with my specific situation. I haven't tried the chock chain b/c I think he is too young for it. Also, I want to mention i definately praise him when he is being good and not biting me.

Thanks,[/quote]

What you are doing is almost right and very wrong :-) go read this site
[url]http://www.clickersolutions.com/clickersolutions/articles/biteinhibit.htm[/url]
to learn how to do what you need to do and also this one for more why's
[url]http://www.clickersolutions.com/clickersolutions/articles/puptrain.htm[/url]
A deep growly voice incites pups to play HARDER and more aggressively.
Yes letting your pup play with other pups and adult dogs will help it learn bite inhibition with dogs but you need to teach it bite inhibition with people.
All the pain techniques suggested here will simply make your pup worse not better including the choke collar suggestion :cry:
It also sounds like you need to trim your pup's nails and teach it to sit to be greeted instead of leaping up on you.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the websites. I have been trained to use the clicker. I'm low on treats right now and i didn't bring my clicker with me... I can't even find a place that sells name tags for his collar much less a clicker.

Anyway, i will read what it says on the website.

I've been meaning to trim his nails. I'm going to search the site for instructions so I make sure I don't hurt him. His nails are so much longer than any of my other dogs!!!

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='abusser']Guest, I've read the bite inhibition article. I will follow it and see if it makes a difference. Thanks,[/quote]

I really hope it does :-) and as for clickers - you know the metal lid off of a juice bottle, a pen, or anything you can use as a click cue - even a whistle or a cheek click or tongue cluck will work :-)
and treats - heck with a pup that age use breakfast for training treats then 'jackpot' him with the rest of it when he does something really well - same for the other meals let him do a little work for his food :-)

Guest Anonymous

that's a good idea. i should have thought about using a pen... wasn't being very creative.

oh another thing that is different with him than my puppies in the past is that he is a very picky eater and doesn't seem to care about food that much.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Absolutely and unequivically say the word "No!" Your dog has to hear that word when he or she does wrong. I found that if you drag the word out like,"Noooo!" it becomes a test for the dog of who's dominant.
They have to learn that a quick "No!" with serious intonation, means business. If your a "People Pleaser" like most of us are then as you know you think your being too harsh etc. I have found that dogs will love you EVEN if you think they will not because you sound "Mean" when training them.
Biting and nipping can be a nuisance. When they do it immediately say "NO!" very firmly DO NOT GIVE IN or try to reason with your dog or say "No" slowly. Quick and to the point.
****Remember one thing and one thing only: People pay to have their dogs trained when in reality if you read up on these things and learn as much as you can from this and other websites, you can do it yourself. Watch them train your dog...Guess what they have that most of us do not? The ability to not "Feel Bad" when training or reprimanding your dog! If you give in,...they will slowly take over! It's about dominance. Dogs derive from a "Pack Instinct."
Hope it works out for you.