Dogomania

Perfect breed for me?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Do you know of a website or book that I could look into that would help me find the perfect breed for the characteristics I am looking for in a dog?

good watchdog, companion, intelligent, trainable, playful, gentle/loving, large size, average shedding, great with children/people, doesn't incessently bark at anything/ everything, not a howler, not a slobberer (like Saint Bernard), (I intend on impressing heavy obedience training for a dominant dog) okay if needs to be socialized

Guest Anonymous

Hi,
There are several sites that will "help" you choose a dog that will fit your lifestyle.
Try doing a Breed Selector search at [url]http://www.google.com[/url] or a similar search engine.
Have fun and good luck

Guest Anonymous

Pit Bulls make great companions. They will protect you when they need to but are also great people dogs. Great with children.
Only problem... If someone is threatening you they may pay some very heavy consequences. You would always have to carry a breaking stick.
They are easily sociable to everything BUT other dogs. Even cats.

Guest Anonymous

YES APBT are great dogs. I would recommend you socialize them ALOT. Take them out to dog parks when they are old enough to be taken out with other dogs due to parvo. My pits dont fight with other dogs cause they are used to being around them. So just SOCIALIZE them alot and you will be fine.

Guest Anonymous

I would look into Akitas, but just know that they shed a bit and blow coat (masses of fur that just fall off everywhere) 1-2 times per year. They tend to also be very aggressive with other animals, to include other dogs, so socialization is imperative from an early age. They will challenge you until you establish that you are their alpha (pack leader) and are smart enough to be calculating. If they find a way out of a yard or a crate - there is barely anything you can do to stop them from trying to escape. Breed to take down bear, but their love and loyalty is beyond reproach.

Everyone has a breed preference, mine is the Akita. Their health problems include hip dysplasia, they have more food allergies (or are more sensitive than most dogs) to soy and wheat, approximately 70% of all Akitas have hypothyroidism and are on medication twice daily for it (this has been linked to aggression), they have the largest percentage of VKH/UDS of all the breeds (only 3% of Akitas - but if it is your Akita (like one of mine) it hits VERY close to home). Large dogs can bloat very easily, cost a lot to feed, to house, to bathe, to groom, to take to the vet, you have to make sure the vet doesn

Guest Anonymous

Of course you would recommend an akita:) But serously, a labrador retriever sounds perfect for you. Trust me, once you have one you will be so glad you made that decision:)

• 2 weeks later...

I know we all like to promote our own favorite breeds and there are excellent represenatives of each. I personally recomend a Great Dane. They are AWESOME with kids. My daughter was about 1 when we got our dane and she was great with my son when he was born. There size and bark will deter most strangers and they are calm, mellow dogs. They will play when you want to or are satisfied to just rest. They also do great in just about any setting even apartments as long as they get regular walks (any dog). They have short hair and though they do shed, it is not too much. They are also easy to train. I also recommend GSD's. I have a 1 year old GSD that is great with my kids also. He has a wonderful temperment, but needs to be worked or exercised everyday or he can get a little rambunctious! He does not shed that much either. He also is very protective, but when meeting strangers is very friendly to them and other dogs as long as I introduce them. Then he will play and play, but if they come onto our property and we are not with him, he gets protective.
Another good dog can be a dalmatian. You have to watch where you get them from because they can have temperment and health problems. We have one that is good with everyone and has his CGC, but developed cateracts in Jan so has gone blind. That is a genetic problem. He has a great temperment though. He is not very protective, never barks at strangers just licks them! Good luck in your search for a dog!

Guest Anonymous

good watchdog, companion, intelligent, trainable, playful, gentle/loving, large size, average shedding, great with children/people, doesn't incessently bark at anything/ everything, not a howler, not a slobberer (like Saint Bernard), (I intend on impressing heavy obedience training for a dominant dog) okay if needs to be socialized
It would be useful for you to go to the bookstore and find a book on all breeds of dogs, or go to the library to check out a book.Many have suggestions on breeds.
Here are some of the breeds that would be fitting with your description:
1.Weimaraner-They are easy to obedience train, big, intelligent, good watchdog, great as companions, very good with children,and don't shed very much.I don't know if they bark a lot.
2.Akita-They are very loyal and affectionate once they know you are the alpha, don't slobber a lot, big, great with children that they are used to, needs firm training, sheds more than average, intelligent, and they rarely bark(only when something's wrong.Once my akita saw a blanket spread over the stair banister, and she barked and barked until we removed it).They need to be socialized very early and need to know who's alpha in the family.My dog was a hyper and sometimes aggressive dog before we got a trainer, and now she is very affectionate and she get is not so hyperactive anymore.Akitas need daily exercise because they have a lot of energy if they don't exercise, and that makes them jump around and snap out of frustration.
3.German Sheperds-German Sheperds would be great pets.When we were choosing our dog between two breeders, we chose the akita because the puppies were treated clean and looked well socialized.They would make great watchdogs, don't slobber much, trainable, very intelligent, playful, have average shedding, and great with children, and while some of them bark, some are completely quiet.
4.Rottweiler-They are very trainable, great watchdogs, don't shed very much, don't slobber much, and they are very intelligent.Rotties can be very affectionate, and they need to be socialized very early, or they will not be used to other dogs. Rotties also need lots of exercise, or they'll go hyper.They don't shed too much, but be careful not to touch them when your hands are wet, or their fur with stick onto your hand like tape.
5.Great Dane-Great Danes are very gentle and loving, but they slobber a bit more than average.They are great watchdogs because of their size, but they don't bark for no reason.Great Danes are very playful, and for that reason, they are not suitable to play with small and uncautious children, because a dane could accidentally step on or knock over the child.Danes are inteligent, and they are trainable.
Some books i recommend you to read are Raising Rover, Dogs for Dummies, and any encyclopedias about dogs that include dog breed descriptions.There is a section in Raising Rover about choosing a dog breed for you, and there is useful information on how to train a dog(but your not there yet).You could also go online and search yahoo for information, there is a dog breed search on there.
I hope you find the perfect dog and have a good relationship with him/her.The dog breeds I have listed above are only a few breeds in many that would be possible for you, and I hope you consider your breed carefully.
Good Luck!

Guest Anonymous

I would have to agree...a lab is a wonderful dog. I find it amusing that the owners/breeders of certain breeds are soooooooo partial.
I also have a GSD - he is loveable,loyal and can be lethal (if he knows one our family members is in danger) His bark is enough to scare off anyone or anything.
I love my lab and GSD the same...but I can assure you..they are entirely different personalities/temperments.
I think they compliment eachother, being "brothers"... only a year apart!

Guest Anonymous

AOL.com has something similar to that...it asks questions about your household and what you want in a dag then it picks breeds that are similar to your area of interest.

Guest Anonymous

O.K. now apart from the large size I would say STAFFY,STAFFY,STAFFY but maybe you shouldn't listen to me as I am also VERY biased BUT they are GREAT dogs...had to laugh with your message too as I also am soon to be a Saint Bernard owner (collect him at the end of the month) LOADS of hair and slobber!!!!best of luck with your search ....hope you find YOUR perfect companion..........K.

Guest Anonymous

I would recomend a Doberman Pinshcer. They were breed to guard people(the only dog specificly breed to do so) and not for fighting like the APBT. I have nothing against APBT's and I am looking into getting an AMSTAFF myself. Of course every dog are prone to different problems . Whatever dog you decide please check with the breeders on what problems that dog is prone to and see if the parents have been tested and clear of such.

GOOD LUCK.

Guest Anonymous

My vote is for a standard poodle....don't shed, slobber,longer live span than a lot of large breeds, super smart. Don't be fooled by the foo foo looks you see sometimes...they can be great watch dogs.

You should be able to find one from breed rescues or Pet Finders...a wonderful site for finding a good dog.

Guest Anonymous

I would say go with Pit Bull or a Staffy. These dogs do not have to be trained to be protective. It is their instint to protect what they love. However, you have to devote a lot of time into this breed. Poor owners of this breed are what gives them a bad name.

Guest Anonymous

I am sure that all of the dogs recommended hee ae quite nice. My choice though would be the standard poodle.

Some things you should be aware of that can be an issue with large breeds.

1. Their life span can be much shorter than a smaller dog.

2. Some breeds hae problems with hip dysplasia

3.A number of large breeds...for example the bloodhound...can develop a condition called gastric torsion (spelling?). It has to do with a twisted gut and can come on suddenly...and can be fatal.

Guest Anonymous

I would consider a BOXER. They don't smell, don't shed much, they are very protective, one of the best dogs for kids, good with other animals, very playful, smart.....

Definately a boxer, they are everything you are looking for and a little bit more. I know that I may be a little bias but boxers truely are great dogs, and are great with children plus they have alot more personality than many other large protective breeds.
other breeds I would reccomend would be: Great Dane, Rottweiler, Bull Terrier, Doberman, German Shepard or something like an Irish Wolfhound (thier size is enough to scare anyone yet they are the gentlest of breeds, great for children and excellent companion dogs)
whatever you choose, I hope its right for you!
Luv Jeanne

Guest Anonymous

hi, im looking for a guard dog/ compagion dog and not a boxer, german sheperd,pit bull or anykind of dog like that. something like a bull dog or an airedale terrier or even a kerry blue terrier would be nice right?

please tell me your opinion and tell me please what other dogs are guard dog/ compagion dog?

[quote]
On 2002-05-09 15:22, Anonymous wrote:
hi, im looking for a guard dog/ compagion dog and not a boxer, german sheperd,pit bull or anykind of dog like that. something like a bull dog or an airedale terrier or even a kerry blue terrier would be nice right?

please tell me your opinion and tell me please what other dogs are guard dog/ compagion dog?
[/quote]
Airdale Terriors are great, as are schnauzers, standard poodles, australian cattledogs... if you don't mind a bit of hair, siberian huskys and akitas are also great.

Guest Anonymous

I would always suggest first, adopting a dog. If you don't want to, my first choice would be a great dane. The only thing that doesn't seem to fit your list with a dane is the slobber factor. Second, maybe an irish wolfhound. My friend had one that was all the things that you described. Or, a newfoundland, but, they are kind of hairy but have an excellent rep with kids. Remember weather as a factor for large dogs. Danes for example, do not do well in extreme temperatures. Ask your vet for advice!

Guest Anonymous

wow, what loooooong, informative posts! now I feel a little "stingy" because my post is only two websites: [url]http://www.dogbreedinfo.com[/url] (there is a link to a breed finder, as well as breeds by photo and size) and [url]http://www.glowdog.com/bestdog[/url]. the glowdog site itself sells some pretty cool glow-in-the-dark dog gear.