Dogomania

the perfect indoor dog?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have been searching for the perfect indoor dog, and so far have been thinking along the lines of a shih tzu....i would LOVE it if i could get some suggestions on what breed would be the best small, indoor dog...any advice i could get will be GREATLY appreciated...thanks!!

Guest Anonymous

I have a Terrier/Chihuahua Mix and she is the best dog ever! She is like Velcro on me. Never leaves my side. When I sit, she is on my lap instantly. She is very small but not so miniature that she gets stepped on or lost. She doesn't destroy anything because she can't reach many things! She is an excellent gaurd dog as well.

Guest Anonymous

thanks for the info...one thing i dont want though is a shadow...top 3 things i want in my future dog are: very friendly to evryone, fairly easy to train(if i get a shih tzu i'll get a 4-5 year old already trained), and sheds very little or not at all...so any advice on a breed or mix breed that might fit these categories? I'm pretty new to the whole indoor dog idea :smile:

Guest Anonymous

Ivote for toy poodles.i have had several,they are very intelligent do not shed.my females would bark at strangers but loved everyone.they loved the strangers too.red1955

Guest Anonymous

You may want to look at the Schnauzer, they also do not shed.
I would recomend the book "THE PERFECT MATCH, a dog buyers guide" by Chris Walkowicz. She tells you the good as well as the bad of the breeds.

Guest Anonymous

I too would like a friendly, obedient housedog, and am thinking of an adult dog. What small breeds do not bark too much? my neighbors will complain if it is a yappy dog.

• 4 months later...
Guest Anonymous

[quote name='yehosha']I have been searching for the perfect indoor dog, and so far have been thinking along the lines of a shih tzu....i would LOVE it if i could get some suggestions on what breed would be the best small, indoor dog...any advice i could get will be GREATLY appreciated...thanks!![/quote]
Are you talking indoor only? or are you talking companion dog to take on walks as well as having them indoors?
As for the no shed concept are you really ready for the level of grooming commitment that the long coated low shed breeds need?
Personally I think all dogs should be indoor dogs with the possible exception of working sled dogs.

• 4 weeks later...

I was thinking more of a........[i]saint bernard[/i], [b]rott [/b]mix, really great dogs, light on their feet, very clean, [b]neither even have hair [/b]and [b]neither have slobber glands[/b]. not to mention they have great balance and are capable of [b]balancing [/b]on one [b]FOOT[/b]! wow thats great! :lol:

I dont know too much about them but I read up on these dogs called, gold doodles, or goldedoodles. they are a poodle retreiver mix, saw some pictures REALLY cute, maybe check them out, but like I said I dont know much about them, namely I haven't read anything negative so you KNOW someones not tellin the whole truth

by the way I was kidding, alot of dogs can stand on one foot :lol:

Guest Anonymous

Hmmm...
do they have a small non-barking dog? I thought the smaller they got the barkier... It's a defence so that people wont step on them. :D Honestly I like Shitsus (ok how do you spell that?) If you have them clipped regularly the grooming aspect is cut to nill... and you still have that cute personallity. They do have breathing problems though... that pushed in nose thing...

Guest Anonymous

You should go with a pomeranian, they are about the same size as a shitzu but are much cuter (in my opinion). I have two pomeranians. One girl named Mitzy and one boy named Tobie. They are the sweetest dogs. They dont shed, they only bark when they hear someone pulling up in the drive way, which makes them pretty good gaurd dogs, not in the sense that they would fight someone bad that came in the house (mine run under the bed when they dont know someone), but they will inform you if there is an intruder. They are very sweet dogs. You should check them out.

Guest Anonymous

My neighbor has a min schnauzer. She's a sweet heart, but once mom and dad are out of the house, she barks at EVERYTHING....and this is from inside the house. LOUD bark.

Mu gramma had a min poodle that didn't bark hardly at all! And you don't have to get that goofy cut...but my vets receptionist has 2 teacup poodles and one barks at every animal that walks in the door.

Guest Anonymous

OK, here's a little tool I have used in the past, and still do! BUT, it can only give you ideas to start with and I'm not saying that it's all acurate!

Go to
[url]http://www2.activebuyersguide.com/abg/nav/StartGuide.cfm?PID=50X2X99X61739X1e320&CatID=5[/url]

This is where I first heard about the Shiba and now own 2! Of course, after I did the comparison and desided on a couple of breeds, I did a lot MORE research (and actually met my first shibas to make sure that they were what we wanted) before I decided on this breed. Then of course, finding a breeder for a rare breed...and in the midwest (puppy mill heaven). That sure was a challenge!

GOOD LUCK and let us know what you decide on!

Oh, [url]www.dogbreedinfo.com[/url] also has a comparison guide!

[quote name='hazelhover']How funny... it gave me an australian shepherd as my first and best choice... he he what a coinqidinc![/quote]

LOL...it gave me (in order)

1 Staffy (stop CHEERING,K :wink: )
2 Boxer (was there ever any doubt?)
3 Bullmastiff (another fave of mine)
4 Weimaraner (beautiful dog)
5 Anatolian shepherd (????????)

etc,etc,etc.........

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='hazelhover']How funny... it gave me an australian shepherd as my first and best choice... he he what a coinqidinc![/quote]
Fun, isn't it? My friend has been looking at getting a dog since they put theirs down last January. The grieving time has gotten better and the presence of a dog is missed. They are hoping to get the $$ saved soon for a nice privacy fence before they get a dog....she doesn't believe in chaining a dog up! :D :D :D :D :D Anyway, we've been doing that search for her a lot lately. After finding the breed she thinks she wants on Yahoo!, we do more research and decide that's really not what she wants. It'll be spring before she'll get a pup, so we've got plenty of time for her to decide. She'll probably get one from a shelter, a mix, but I told her to let them know what breeds she's looking for and to let her know if/when one comes in. There are tons in the area so hopefully they'll do that for her. Does anyone know if they do???

I have other people I know do the breed comparison as well, just to see if their choices come even close to the breed they currently have. It's funny to see what people actually come up with!

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='gigishiba'][quote name='hazelhover']How funny... it gave me an australian shepherd as my first and best choice... he he what a coinqidinc![/quote]
Fun, isn't it? My friend has been looking at getting a dog since they put theirs down last January. The grieving time has gotten better and the presence of a dog is missed. They are hoping to get the $$ saved soon for a nice privacy fence before they get a dog....she doesn't believe in chaining a dog up! :D :D :D :D :D Anyway, we've been doing that search for her a lot lately. After finding the breed she thinks she wants on Yahoo!, we do more research and decide that's really not what she wants. It'll be spring before she'll get a pup, so we've got plenty of time for her to decide. She'll probably get one from a shelter, a mix, but I told her to let them know what breeds she's looking for and to let her know if/when one comes in. There are tons in the area so hopefully they'll do that for her. Does anyone know if they do???

I have other people I know do the breed comparison as well, just to see if their choices come even close to the breed they currently have. It's funny to see what people actually come up with![/quote]

well if she is interested in a particular breed she should contact the breed rescuers for that breed which will give her a chance to both save a dog and get one she wants!

Guest Anonymous

Forget everything anyone up there has said! Get shihtzu!!! :wink: Seriously, shihtzus are great dogs, They dont shed, but need to be groomed AT LEAST every other day, but should be groomed dailey. A stranger is only a friend they havent meet and they will lick you to death if they get a chance! They are GREAT dogs!!!

Guest Anonymous

Golden retrivers a reat dogs! Just look at me, im a golgen retriver typing and ralking ro people online! anyway some of us are kinda wild in the rouse, but rust because our masters dont rake us for walks! Re ROOOOVVVEEEE Walking!!!!! :D

Guest Anonymous

haha You are so cute. I love golden retreivers. My boyfriend has two, and they have so much personality, they are in/outdoor dogs. They shed way to much to be indoor dogs. But are very sweet animals.