Dogomania

How Do I Get My Dog To Stop Eating Clothing?

Devildogsgirl

I have a 7 month old female Pomerainean this past month she has started eating articals of clothing. She devoures my underwear and has now apparently moved on to shirts. She has toys and gets lots of attentiona and plays outside most of the day. It seems like its only my clothes that she does this to. Is there ANY way I can get her to stop????
:madgo: :niewiem: :stop: :Dog_run:

[quote name='Jessashelony'][quote name='leahluvsherpups']I agree with what was said above. At least your dog didn't eat a $200.00 cell phone.[/quote]

Mine ate a $300 cell phone a couple months ago. :lol:

Then soon after they ate my laptop charger...

Oh the days when they chewed on cheap stuff because they were teething... Now they are spiteful brats and go for the important stuff. :roll:[/quote]

Agreed! :lol:

Well i dont give her acess to them... we are visiting my mother-in-law she got up on the bed the jumped to a low dresser which had our duffel bag was on... she dug into it and once again found my underwear passing up my husbands on her searchg for mine... pulled them out and then once again ate them... aaaahhhh this is going to get expensive isnt it????!!!!!
:placz:

where were you whilst she was negotiating the furniture to get your undies? supervise, supervise, supervise. it will get expensive if she eats something and gets an intestinal blockage -- that surgery costs about $3000 :o you really need to keep an eye on her. tether her to you, to furniture in a room where you are, or put her in a crate.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to thank eveyone for thier advise... it was helpfull for the short time it was needed. today my pomeranian puppy Emma Joy ran out into the street by my husbands work and was hit by a truck...great ending to an already bad day... our house seems very empty now and she will be greatly missed by myself and my husband.
:bluepaw: :placz: :lilangel: :dog:

• 17 years later...

If your dog is eating clothing, it's important to address the behavior to prevent potential health issues. Here are some steps you can take to discourage your dog from eating clothing:

1. Remove access to clothing: Make sure your dog does not have access to clothing by keeping it out of reach. Put dirty laundry in a hamper with a lid, and keep closet doors closed.

2. Provide alternatives: Give your dog safe and appropriate items to chew on, such as chew toys or bones.

3. Supervise your dog: Keep a close eye on your dog to ensure they are not getting into anything they shouldn't be. If you see them going for clothing, redirect their attention to a toy or bone.

4. Train your dog: Teach your dog the "leave it" command, and reward them when they obey. This can help redirect their attention away from clothing.

5. Seek professional help: If the behavior persists, consider seeking the help of a professional dog trainer or behaviorist to address underlying behavioral issues.

Remember that it's important to remain patient and consistent when addressing unwanted behaviors in your dog. With time and training, you can help them develop good habits and prevent potential health issues.