Dogomania

Pet food recall not over yet.

ruthieb

[FONT=Georgia][COLOR=black]9.02.2007[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#808000][/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][FONT=Georgia][SIZE=2]Let's face it folks, in my opinion the recall IS NOT over yet. It has just been swept under the rug. Not as many pets are dying, so it is no longer newsworthy to the general public as far as the large networks and papers are concerned. I receive quite a few of the trade magazines for the pet industry, and while they still talk about the recall, the opinions are mixed as to what the major players are going to do. [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][FONT=Georgia][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][FONT=Georgia][SIZE=2]In their defense, after the recall made the national news the government of China, began checking all the suppliers of pet food ingredients. They checked over 237 different companies. The problem was traced to two companies. The principals were arrested and the companies are no longer in business according to the article. There is no mention of what was done to the people arrested. The article mentioned that the persons involved were trying to get certain ingredients through customs without paying certain fees (it doesn't mention if they were China's customs or ours), and that is why they altered the product or information as they did. [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][FONT=Georgia][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][FONT=Georgia][SIZE=2]The biggest problem is that all the big dog food companies are now owned by major conglomerates. In my opinion these companies are more interested in the bottom line than the health of our companion animals. The only way I see anything changing is if we do it ourselves. We need to send a message that they will understand. It needs to hit them in the wallet, though they still may not take enough action. Hill's and Iams used to be known for all the Quality Control tests they do before the pet food gets to the marketplace. I've even toured a Hill's plant in Indiana, and was very impressed at the time. [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][FONT=Georgia][SIZE=2]But let's face it, it took more than one person to drop the ball in this one for the recall to be so vast. If you had come to me when I still managed my shops, I could have shown you all sorts of good alternatives to the pet "junk food" that they sell in the grocery stores. But, even companies that make the natural dog and cat food products have had their items recalled. [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][FONT=Georgia][SIZE=2]In my opinion (and I would not have told this to you even 6 months ago), you are better off to get a natural pet food cookbook like the one Wendy Nan Rees has coming out in November. I am looking to adopt another AmStaff, and I will not be feeding any commercial premium dog food. I have taken Wendy's wonderful cooking class, though I am a good cook and I will be cooking for my dog when she comes home. In Wendy's class, I got a cookbook with actual meals and there is even a kibble recipe (because your pet still needs to chew kibble for their teeth). [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Georgia][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][FONT=Georgia][SIZE=2]I want to know exactly is going into my dog's mouth; and the only way to control that is to cook for her myself. I have already looked into it and it looks as if the 30-40 dollars I would spend on a bag of premium dog food will go quite a bit farther. Not to mention, be so[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Georgia][SIZE=2]much[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Georgia][SIZE=2]fresher for my dog. I will be responsible for what she is eating and I will know exactly what is going into her mouth.[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Georgia][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Georgia]Let's face it, these days there are recalls all over; but we don't have to become victims to them. We can be proactive, and that is what I intend to do for my girl.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][FONT=Georgia][SIZE=2]ruthieb[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=windowtext][SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS] [/FONT][/SIZE]
[/COLOR][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#808000][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#808000][/COLOR][/FONT]

• 4 weeks later...

Any recommendations out there for a good healthy dog food? Additionally one that isn't extremely more expensive than a major common brand?

I've recently switched from Iam's to Royal Canin to a brand my wife just picked up...

I'm looking for something that will not contain anything that's going to be detrimental to my pooches health. She's a big dog as well, so if anyone can recommend something that comes in a bigger type kibble size that would be great..

I found the brand that we are using now. It's called PERFORMATRIN Ultra.
Ingredients:
Chicken and Chicken Meal
Whole Brown Rice
Whole Barley and Oatmeal
Whole Ground Flaxseed and Sunflower Oil
Whole Fresh Sweet Potatoes and Corn (I'm getting hungry)
Salmon Meal
Whole Cranberries
Whole apples and Blueberries
Kelp
Alfalfa, Spinach and Peas
Danelion and Herbs
Bacterial Cultures...

This stuff is actually cheaper than the stuff we had her on (Royal Canin).

We got our cat on it too...

My wife found it, so I'm sure we'll be sticking with it until or if we find something better. The dog seems to like it alot too...