Dogomania

Sore on dogs leg

fsuwolf

Ihave a German Sheperd mix who has been licking the back hind leg. She has licked it raw. I put neosporen on the sore and put a band aid over it and wrapped the leg with a wrap and put a sock over it. This keeps her from licking it. I left it on for three days and took it off to check it and but she goes right back to licking it. Almost like it itches. See no sign of bites. Is the best thing to do,is wrap it up and leave it that way for a week then check it? I did not wrap the dressing to tight incase some one ask

Thanks
Dan

you should check the sore daily to make sure it doesn't get worse. also, cleaning once or twicew daily will speed up healing.

if this is a hot spot, it would be better to shave the area and administer a drying agent rather than covering it up so it can't breathe.

clean it well with a mild antiseptic soap and pat dry.

apply witch hazel (you can get this at any drug store) 3-4 times daily. this will help dry out the spot so it can heal better.

• 3 weeks later...

we had the same issue. Put the good ol cone on them for a week or two. We had to do this and it worked fine. My dog had licked a spot where they put a needle in her for some other work, which turned it all raw. Put the cone on your dog and keep the leg bandaged up a bit. monitor it every day and keep it covered.

hope this helps.

d