Dogomania

Papillon/Japanese Chin mix

Ice_Maiden

I noticed that there is already a thread on mixed breeds but since no one has responsed in a long time I decided to make my own specific one :)

My particular question or research deals with gathering as much information possible on this mix...I know it's practicly impossible, but trust me, once you see this mix, you cant help but hope it will become its own breed one day :D (sorry im new here, hope that doesnt offend any breeders)

I was wondering from those of you here who do have mixed breeds, is there a breed your dog resembles more? and if so, is it ok to base your training/health/housebreaking on that one breed?

I'm very clueless as I am about to become a first time puppy owner :)

Thanks and sorry if this resembles my first post..

Are you planning ot buy a mixed breed? Can I ask why when theres hundreds of breeds to choose from, and no need for more. Not to mention literally millions upon millions of dogs are killed every year in shelters, if you want a mixed breed why not rescue on of those?

I do not believe in breeding mixbreeds, or creating new breeds when there's no use for them. No, I do not wish for these crossbreeds to become a breed.

I really agree with Lucky Chaos.
There are over 500 breeds in the world, from all different categories. And more than enough of those are toy/companion breeds. It's impossible for someone to say there is no breed that suits their needs. And just because you mix two breeds does not mean you mix qualities, nor do you remove any undesired traits or diseases known to either one of the breeds. It takes years and lots of work to create new breeds, and in these days it's really not worth it. You'd be better to just go to a shelter. Look on petfinder, they probably even have the mix you're talking about somewhere! :wink:

Thanks for the responses but I think you both misunderstood what i was stating...

I was saying that I already purchased a mixed breed, and that it is such an adorable puppy :) I wasnt saying that there are no breeds that fit my family's needs, not at all, there are many...

The reason we did not get it from a shelter is because my mother has been dogphobic all her life, and she really wanted to get a puppy that she could raise from a baby... not that there arent any puppies at shelters, but most of the ones here where I live are older dogs...

I was just asking if anyone had any advice on owning mixed breeds...

Hi Ice Maiden~ My dog Hunter is a 1yr old GSD/Yellow Lab mix, and from what I've read about the 2 breeds he definately resembles the lab side more as far as personality goes; very people oriented and playful. About the only GSD trait that I've seen in him is how proud he looks when he has a 'job' to do (his favorite 'job' is carrying the newspaper into the house). I feel I got the best of dogs by adopting a mixed breed.
Anyway, to answer your question I don't train or teach him geared to any one specific breed- he's definately one of a kind with a personality all of his own. It's been alot of 'live and learn' to see what works best with him
and of course all the help I've gotten from "DOGO" has been wonderful.
Good luck with your new pup!