Dogomania

couple fo questions about RAW

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i just switched my 9 week old pup to RAW last week. he currently weighs about 25 lbs and will be about 150 when full grown. everything is going fantastic with the RAW diet.

for breakfast, he gets veggie mush:

carrots
zuchini
spinach
salmon
ground turkey
olive oil
cottage cheese
apples
garlic
all pureed

for lunch:
2 chicken wings, or one chicken thigh

for dinner:
a chicken leg, a chicken thigh, and a chicken wing

I soak all of the chicken in apple cider vinegar and I have been giving him a vit c tablet each day.

How does this all sound?

I am going to start adding liver soon. I have also had some trouble finding fish oil, alfalfa, and kelp--any suggestions on where to find it?

Everything is going great with it all, I just have one question:

how do you keep your dog from carrying his RMB's all over the place to eat them? My pup carries his chicken pieces to anywhere but the bowl to eat them.

i dont know if this has anything to do with his nomadic eating style, but he is a little food aggressive with the new RAW diet--he wasnt with kibble, i guess he likes RAW better. I have been making him eat out of my hand as much as possible and petting him while he eats. he is getting better.

Joseph

[quote name='jweissg']

I am going to start adding liver soon. I have also had some trouble finding fish oil, alfalfa, and kelp--any suggestions on where to find it?[/quote]

My guess would be a health food store or online.

[quote name='jweissg']how do you keep your dog from carrying his RMB's all over the place to eat them?
[/quote]

Most of the people I know who feed raw will do so in a crate. That way it won't go everywhere!!

Good luck!!

overall it looks okay, but without analyzing your recipe in exact amounts and proportions, i can't say how well it covers all nutrient requirements of a growing puppy - especially during the phase where the most rapid growth occurs.

one thing that stands out to me without even looking closely is the total lack of any red meat or other food items that would offer a good amount of z-i-n-c. chicken is convenient and cheap, but shouldn't be fed nearly exclusively. i'd make an effort to include some beef, lamb, venison or other red meat to balance the z-i-n-c content in the diet.

vitamin E also seems low, especially if you are planning on supplementing with fish oil. increased intake of polyunsaturated fatty acids can increase vitamin E requirements as much as fivefold.

fish oil i'd recommend from seapet.com, they have a product that already includes natural vitamin E. kelp and alfalfa are best ordered from health food retailers, and make sure you get a kelp product that offers a detailed lab analysis so you know how much iodine is actually in there. it's a nutrient that's only required in very minute amounts and oversupplementing stresses the thyroid. alfalfa i'd definitely buy only organic products.

sorry about the "z-i-n-c", but the forum won't accept my post if i just type it out normally. grrr.

Guest Anonymous

doesnt chicken have some z-i-n-c in it? also, spinach--which is in his veggie mash--has a lot of z-i-n-c in it.

I plan to add some beef soon, but I wanted to add stuff slowly.

what should I add for vitamin e?

thanks for all the help!
Joseph

since the inability to type z-i-n-c normally, i'ts abbreviated using the chemical symbol (zn) from here on.

2003 NRC research recommends 4.5 mg of zn per kg (2.2 lbs) of body weight per day for growing puppies. for a 25 lb pup that's roughly 11.5 mg per day, or 80 mg per week if you aim for a balance over time in an one-week timeframe.

here's a list of zn content of some items you feed, calculated per 3.5 oz serving:

chicken necks: 2.88 mg
chicken wings: 1.65 mg
chicken backs: 2.33 mg
spinach, raw: 0.5 mg (not a whole lot you see)

for comparison some other items you can include:
turkey necks: 4.3 mg
95% lean ground beef: 5.1 mg
lean lamb (e.g. leg/shoulder): 6.1 mg
chicken hearts: 6.6 mg (heart is considered muscle meat, not organ meat btw.)
canned oysters: 91 mg

the best natural source for vitamin E is wheat germ and wheat germ oil, but with a large breed puppy they would add too much fat to the diet if you wanted to use enough to meet requirements. i'd recommend natural vitamin E capsules (d alpha tocopherol, [b]not[/b] dl alpha tocopherol). if you get the sea pet fish oil, you can get the one that has vitamin E already added and do not need a separate supplement.

Guest Anonymous

all i can say is wow, you have done your research. thank you so much for being so willing to help me out.

i have some turkey in his veggie mash, but I am going to go get some ground beef today and replace one of his chicken wings with some ground beef. I wonder if he would like oysters? I could grind those up in his veggie mash and it looks like he would get what he needs easily.

Have you ever tried oysters?

I think that I am going to add the liver tomorrow too. He is doing really well with everything thus far. I will probably just give him a little bit.

I also just ordered a fish oil/vit E combo and some kelp.

do you have a particular site that you use to get all this info? that way, maybe I could quit buggin you everytime I have a question.

Thanks again!!
joseph

yep, i have a few pointers for you. :)

first of all, there is [url]www.nutritiondata.com[/url] - it lets you combine various ingredients into recipes you can analyze. this is what i use to balance the recipes for my ground meals. just make sure you pick the correct ingredients and weight units, then add to your pantry. when you have collected all of them, combine amounts into a recipe and analyze.

NRC research data can be found [url=http://www.mordanna.com/dogfood/index.php?page=calc]here[/url] for adult dogs, i'll add a table for puppies soon, meanwhile you can look [url=http://dels.nas.edu/banr/Slides/kallfelz.pdf]here[/url] and [/url=http://books.nap.edu/books/0309034965/html/44.html#pagetop]here[/url]. there's an explanation for the different dates on my site.

most dogs like oysters, personally i don't. ick!

feel free to ask any follow up questions. i really don't mind. :)