Dogomania

My first day as a volunteer

Guest Mutts4Me

Guest Mutts4Me

Brrr...

I had my orientation at the HS a week ago, but it's been painfully cold since then, and I haven't been back out. Today I was out and decided to stop in the HS. It's still cold, you absolutely must wear gloves, or your hands will hurt. I asked one of the staff if it was too cold to take the dogs out, and they said no, as long as I was with them.

I asked about getting the Pit Bulls unlocked (they're locked up to prevent them from being stolen) and was told volunteers don't take them out. Oh. Sad. But instead, I took out a huge, hyper GSD mix named Nina and ran around the run with her for 10 minutes. Then a smaller, pleasant ESS mix named Buddy. THEN, I took out Bear, a huge Chow/Shepherd type mix that looks like a huge, black version of Sasha. He's been there for quite some time, and he's been fairly reserved in the past. When he saw the leash, though, he got all fired up.

I am so in love with that dog now. Physically, he is everything I like in a dog, and once he perks up, he has a fantastic personality. He's big and energetic, but he didn't drag me around. If I couldn't keep up and the leash pulled, he waited politely for me. He wanted to play with the dogs in the runs on either side of us. He fluffed his cute, curly tail. Ahhh....

Then, partially frozen, I went into the puppy room, and I cleaned out two dirty puppy cages, so I felt like I'd done something productive (after all, everyone wants to walk the dogs, although there weren't that many volunteers at that point, likely because of the cold) ;)

I tried to snap a couple pictures of the dogs, but they were all too excited to get a clear picture of. Maybe next time. Well, errrmmm... This is Bear's eye...

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TwCqAr0YLuyVDjT!vdrgjgRbQ1FznC8q1ZY*OVJoPHdr*maJUeM4i3KFcEZV1J8CO!iJEeUPLWtUKXjEKD7Xufva*y5f4b4qGkmX9SKnCDRrSSSI9Nroig/bear.jpg[/img]

To top things off, his ears are fully erect, except that the right one droops just a tiny bit... which is so endearing and perfect :)

Ha, I came home and told my dad I'd found a new dog, and he gave me this *look* but I just said "If I say it's not a pit bull, can we keep him?" He thought that was fairly amusing, but didn't go for it. Oh well. Wait til I find the Pit Bull I'm looking for... he'll be wishing for Bear then ;)

Sounds like a real blast. Just remember your there with the dogs, dont let politics drag you down. :roll: Enjoy every second of it, its deffinately a worthwhile ting to do with your extra time. Wish I was able to give a little more than I do

Guest Mutts4Me

Oh my...

My mom is temporarily in California, taking care of her uncle. I sent her an email about Bear, including a picture of his eye. I asked if I could keep him, knowing full well she'd say "Umm, No." (7 cats and a dog...)

Instead, her only response was to ask what my dad said. That's hilarious :lol: I can't believe she'd actually consider it!!! I'd be hopeful if I didn't know that my dad would never in a million years invite another dog into the house. But wow.

Right now I'm already concerned that in the first time I've volunteered, I've already found a dog I want. I'm off to a great start ;)

MBM - You know, when you said you had staffies before, I always assumed you meant Staffordshire Bull Terriers, until I saw your new sig with the dog with cropped ears!!! Then I went to your website and saw they were American Staffs. I've never heard of them being called Staffies before, just AmStaffs. Beautiful dogs :)