Dogomania

Oh no!

kendalyn

Help! I'm dogsitting 2 large lab mixes right now and I have a problem. Their owner warned me that one of them is great at stealing food and eating socks so I have been very careful while I have been watching them.

So I'm feeling good, thinking I've taken all necessary precautions when I come out of the shower this morning and I see my purse on the floor. I'm pretty sure one of the dogs ate an entire pack of gum! :-? I can't find it anywhere. I KNOW I had a pack of gum in there. Plus, he has minty breath. :roll: He also ate part of my chap stick. :-? My pack of birth control was taken out but luckily he didn't eat any of it.

I've tried calling his owner and I can't reach her. It's Sunday and I really don't want to take the dog to the vet unless it is absolutely necessary. He's acting fine now. Any suggestions on what I should do? Obviously if I see him get sick I'll take him somewhere. Anything else I should do?

How long has it been? You can give some hydrogen peroxide and they will expel whatever is in their tummies (including breakfast). Just from the things you mentioned, I don't think there's much to worry about, but if you're in doubt (like perhaps thinking they got into something you might not be aware of), I'd personally try to make them upchuck it. With my own dogs, I tend to take a better safe than sorry approach and have given them probably about as much peroxide in their lives as they've ever had treats. :oops:

For just gum and some chapstick, I probably wouldn't sweat it if I were absolutely positive that's all they got.

Guest Anonymous

if it was my dog, i wouldnt worry about it too much.
I used to swallow gum all the time when i was a kid with no problems, and since millions of people are using chapstick on the mouth every day, it cant be toxic. so no worry there either.

I did get ahold of their owner. She laughed and said Boscoe has probably ate stuff worse than that and he's been ok. I did look for some Hydrogen Peroxide but I can't find any around here.

I think he'll be ok. I'm not really worried about the gum but he did eat the paper box and everything. It was Orbitz gum. I guess I'll just watch him closely.