Dogomania

Crate trainign help!!!

Feed her in her crate.

Leave the crate open and available to her throughout the day with her bed or a comfy blanket in it.

Store her toys in it.

Give special treats in it.

Keep the crate in the living room or some other room with a lot of people traffic.

Tell her "crate" and lure her in with a special treat and let her leave as soon as she has come all the way into get the treat.

Never give treats anywhere but the crate (at least until she is crate trained.)

Start her off by having her go into the crate ("crate") and then tell her "stay" leave her in there with door open in a stay for a short time, treat, release. Gradually increase length of time in crate. Eventually have her sitting in the crate in the time between comercial breaks while you watch tv - have crate right beside you.

Gradually increase the crates distance from you and start swinging the door closed in increments.

Eventually have the dog crated across the room with the door closed for at least 15 min. Then start leaving the room for short periods.

Try not to let her out while she is fussing, if she fusses. Wait for a calm period. If she is paticularly fussy you may need to be quick, even 2-3 seconds without fussing to start with. Gradually increasing.

Never crate as a punishment.

Never leave the dog crated for more than 8 hours and much less at the beginning. Make sure she has been out to do her business before any significant period of crating so she is not stuck in there uncomfortable.

BTW why are you crate training her at 1 year old? Does she have problem behaviours?

No problem. I crate trained all mine - helps with housetraining. After they were adults and well trained we transitioned to allowing them loose in the house but it is still useful to have them crate trained in case they need to be transported, seperated or otherwise contained for some reason.

I cant really add anything different than was already said, jsut wanted to say good luck - you shoudlnt have much trouble as long as you keep it positive :) we crate trained Bailey shortly after we adopted her just a little younger than yours - shes now jsut over a year old and she it SOO GOOD about her crate - even when I can tell she doesnt want to go in all i have to do is say "crate" from anywhere in the house and she goes straight to it and goes in :D in the begining I almsot always gave her a kong stuffed with treats or peanut butter or something to keep her busy. (jsut make sure yours is safe with them before leaving him alone with it)

Thanks :D I think shes beautiful too, but I may be biased :lol: LOL
the part we know is beagle, and the vet thinks mix with either dobe or whippet, most likely whippet. her build, hair and "run" seem to support whippet or similar....... she is extremely fast and agile (the only dog that has come close to her speed at the dog parks was a greyhound :o