Dogomania

Calling DO . . . .

rotten_two

ok i am trying not to panic but the lymph nodes in gaia's neck are swollen. i have called my vet and there are zero openings for the next 3 days, but i am on the cancellation list so if anything opens up i get it.

this morning i was petting gaia and i felt these lumps. so i went over and felt the same place on aspen and his are waaaay smaller. her right side is about the size of a golf ball and the left is maybe half that.

now i have done some research this morning and i have found that sometimes allergies can be the culprit. gaia is plagued with chronic allergies and i have had to increase her dosage to manage her itchiness lately. she takes hydroxyzine and it seems to do the trick.

i check my dogs for lumps bumps and abnormalities everyday so i know they were not this bad yesterday. today it is very obvious. any thoughts on what else it could be? (and please let's not mention the c-word because then i will freak out).

i assume the vet will examine and maybe aspirate the node to check the fluid. i don't feel other lymph nodes or masses on her. i do hope it will be allergy related.

[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_29_107v.gif[/img]

I'm not DO, but it could be any number of things really. It could certainly be her allergies that are causing the glands to swell. This is where all the immune defences come from when a dog has an infection. It could also be an impacted salivary gland but your vet will hopefully have a cancellation and get Gaia seen quickly to find the root of the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

we got her to the vet and she did an exam of ears, mouth, rest of lymph system, etc. she did find left scapular node a bit enlarged too. so it's the two in neck and one in shoulder. left side seems to be bigger but nothing in her hind parts. no ear infections or salivary causes present. she gave doxycycline for 2 weeks to see if it is just some secondary type infection. gaia has taken meds for 5 days with really no change. her energy is good, she is eating well and basically seems her old self. maybe meds just need a little longer to work. if not better when finish meds then we have to do biopsy!

please keep sending pawsitive thoughts our way!