Dogomania

My dog is housebroken but...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My dog is housebroken. She has learned so fast. She doesn't eliminate on the main floor at all! But if I run upstairs to get something and she follows me she pees on the floor (has pooped on the floor too!). I don't understand why she is doing this only upstairs but no where else?

[quote name='holliejjj']My dog is housebroken.[/quote]

I'm sorry to say that your dog is not housebroken if she is still using it for her toilet. :(

She somehow has gotten the idea that it is not ok to potty in the house downstairs but it's ok upstairs.

I would try spending more time in that area of the house and have her leashed to you at all times. Then you can see the signs of her looking for a place to go potty. That way you can take her out when she needs to go, or correct her and take her out right away. She'll get the idea. :-) She just needs more practice!

Guest Anonymous

I will try that.

Well she pooped upstairs. And the thing is my husband had just taken her out and she had pooped and peed outside and came back in the house and five minutes later went upstairs and pooped on the floor.

But I had thought since we spend so little time upstairs that she wouldn't feel like that was living quarters and think that it was okay to go up there. We also have a finished basement but the door to that is shut alot so she doesn't go down there as she pleases but she has never eliminated down there.

If she is peeing upstairs, don't let her come upstairs with you for now. Have a regular routine as the others have said and praise her lavishly using a command word when she eliminates outside. Use a crate/leash her to a radiator/something sturdy when you go upstairs momentarily so that she can't follow and pee, then when she is not having accidents in the house try after 2 week or so and allow her the privilige of coming up with you. She has somehow got some inadvertent signal by the sounds of it that when she follows you it is acceptable for her to pee so its a matter of going back to basics for now.

Good luck :wink: