Dogomania

Cough....what could it be?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I just rescued a one yr old Corgi. She has lived outside the first year with alot of other dogs. I just got her today and she makes this cough/clearing throat sound. It is very noticeable when she becomes active. After the past 12 hours with her, I have not heard her bark either.

I took her to the vet right away for the fleas, shots, etc... They tested for Heartworm and it is negative.

What else should I look for?

Any ideas?

Could be as simple as kennel cough....or....if it becomes more pronounced with activity....a collapsed trachea.

I have come across a few shelter dogs with collapsed tracheas. They couldn't have a buckle collar on....only harnesses. No pressure on the throat.

Just a few guesses...when you took her in, did you question your vet?

Guest Anonymous

I did mention it to my vet. She said that she was not concerned about her not barking (not even one time) yet. She said some dogs will not bark when they are first in a new home. I find this strange.

Anyway, I called back this am and she said that she could start her on meds for kennel cough by tomorrow if the cough meds (like an allergy med) that she gave me yesterday did not help. As of this afternoon, they are not helping!

Is there a test for it?

Thanks for the help!