Dogomania

We got a leg!

Carolk9s

heehee, we got a what???
Went to UKC agility trials this past weekend, going for qualifying scores or 'legs' in AG3. This is the top level of UKC agility competition. Candy and I have, er, struggled to qualify, finally our 8th attempt paid off. We NQ'd both trials on Saturday, in the first one she looked at the weaves poles like 'what ARE those things again?' Second trial, she blew off the AFrame and ran over to visit the judge. Wasted precious seconds getting her back, finished the course without further trouble. We must get at least a score of 196 to qualify, lost two points for the runby on the AFrame, and were 2.12 seconds over time. Our score was 195.88. A mere 12/100's of a second faster and we would have qualified.
First trial on Sunday, all was going well until I revved her up a bit TOO much, she blasted over the AFrame and jumped OVER the swing plank instead trotting across the surface.
This was a VERY technical course with lots of trappy areas and hard turns. No one in her height division qualified on this course.
Even so, I was happy with her performance on the whole, her attitude was improving with each run. I decided going in that we were NOT going to qualify and that was ok. I was determined that no matter what happened, she was going to be praised and I was going to keep it fun. Sounds simple but its too easy to get a little frustrated at mistakes and of course most dogs pick right up on that. Candy got MAJOR cookies after each run and MAJOR praise. None of that aw dang stuff at all.
Sunday afternoon it all came together. We had a minor bobble and lost just 1 point and actually finished under time. We got a second place ribbon and that coveted 1st Q. We only need 4 more for her UACHX title.
A friend said he took some pictures so hopefully he will send them to me soon and I will share.