Dogomania

Adopting an older puppy (5 months) found as a stray

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Any tips/warnings for adopting an older puppy. He is 5 months and found as a stray and is currently at a no-kill shelter. He demonstrates shyness and fearfulness, but responds to hugs and affection. We have 4 kids ages 6 to 12. In reading about puppy training it sounds like we have missed the critical socialization period for good puppy training. should we take a chance on this dog? :-?

Guest Anonymous

It is NEVER to late to socialize!!!! if yo do get him, take him to puppy sotres ( petsmart and petco ) and dog parks right off the bat i'd say start introducing him to pther dogs for socialization and to people...
i would do it, but that's just me.. good luck on whatever you do
!

Guest Anonymous

We bought his supplies today. We are all excited and hoping that he will be happy in our home. Time and patience (his not ours) will tell. :D Ask me in about a month. Thanks for your reply.

It is difficult when you have a missed the critical period of socialization with a pup. The social window usually closes at around 12-16 weeks for most pups.
As for dealing with the fearfulness the pup is displaying, this can be improved...but, don't expect any miracles over night. I have owned many dogs which have gone from kennel living to my home as adults...they have displayed fear towards objects they were never introduced to as pups before the social window closed. Pups have a time frame up to about 16 weeks where they have no fears, during this period called the critical period of socialization a pup should be introduced to every thing it will deal with in the years to come. I have seen alot of breeders miss this critical period of socialization with litters of pups and all the pups turned out to be fearful/shy adults.
I have a few suggestions for you.
Join a good socialization class under an instructor or animal behaviorist who is going to help you desensitize your pup. Make sure they also only use positive training methods.
When your new pup does display fear, as much as you want to hug the pup and give comfort...don't. :wink: make sure you are displaying confident body language and give your pup a good lead to follow.
Read up on seperation anxiety and know what to expect, some times, not always, a fearful/ shy pup can display extreme anxiousness when left alone.
When you start socializing your new fearful pup, try to make the first interactions "controlled" situations. For example be sure all the new dogs he meets are really friendly and will be good examples for the pup. If the pup is truly fearful/shy (and not just fearful by current surroundings) I would not go right out to a dog park etc. right away. The chances of meeting a dominant dog and then having your pup have to be defensive is not a good thing. I would take things slow, keep every thing controlled, and keep a positive attitude and do not comfort the pup or coddle him every time he gets upset...instead try to reward him every time he displays bravery :lol: if hes fearful of a certain object, get his favorite treats out and slowly give him small peices a little at a time while passing the feared object.
A good book I suggest you pick up is called;
"After you get your puppy"
by Dr. Ian Dunbar.
This book will help you with problems which arise after the puppy comes home.
Good luck with your new pup :wink:

Guest Anonymous

We have had Buddy, our new 5 month old puppy, home for the day. He seems very docile and fearful and will definitely need time to adjust to our household. Thanks for the tips to build his confidence and reward him correctly. I feel so sorry for him and I don't even know what type of care, if any, he was given in the past. He seems to have had some training as he has responded well to "sit", but does not even want to leave the yard. He just wants to return inside and go to his crate and rest. He has no interest in any toys we have offered him at all. By the way how much sleep does a 5 month pup need during the day? We will look for the book you recommend although the Animal Friends Shelter gave us tons of reading to go over when we took him home today. Buddy got carsick twice too. I think it was just carsick as the shelter never said he was feeling sick. Thank :) s for your great advice. Will wait and see how things go. We really want him to be happy. :)

:angel: Aww....J, good for you and your family !!!
I'm sure with all the love and attention Buddy will get he'll come out of his shell...... :wink:
He was probably really nervous and that could've contributed to his car sickness...... :P
Maisy my youngest JRT was car sick at first......but I heard the only way for them to get over it was to keep taking them, they get used to it.
I always went prepared with plastic bags, paper towels, and baby wipes...
I'm glad to say she finally out-grew it !! Thank Goodness !!

You didn't say what kind of dog Buddy is ?
Post pics when you can !! :angel:

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the support. buddy is a spaniel mix we are told. I am guessing springer spaniel. The Pet supply store people said he may have border collie too. Just hope he grows to love us as much as we love him. :)