Dogomania

Dogawful SF Gate article:

disSanFranchised

[quote]The result is more opportunities for that sudden, unexpected moment when a pit bull loses control. Gamez says he always cautions his officers to keep an eye on pit bulls when capturing them.

"They don't growl,'' says Gamez, who was also part of the team investigating the Shawn Jones mauling case in Richmond. "It usually just comes right after you. These dogs can just go off. And when they do, they cause tremendous damage.''
[/quote]

That really makes me mad. Oh yeah all pit bulls just snap and go crazy all of the sudden. :roll:

[quote]In the meantime, if you encounter a pit bull or a rottweiler, keep an eye on it no matter how often its owner says it is the sweetest little pup you've ever seen. That's especially true if it is a "rehabilitated'' dog, which has supposedly had its breeding curbed by good training.

"Rehabilitated,'' says Gamez, "means it hasn't bitten anyone lately.''
[/quote]

Ok I agree that dogs that were rehabed must be watched carefully and needs more precautions than others but my doG! Last time I checked most dogs who bite get PTS, not rehabed.

[quote]And some cities and states are considering "breed specific'' legislation, passing a law to keep pit bulls and rottweilers out of populated neighborhoods. The idea has encountered a firestorm of opposition from owners and dog organizations.

"The human community has been in denial for 20 years,'' says Clifton. "There's only hope where we begin to recognize the problem. We need to get that layer of denial lifted.''
[/quote]

Denial? Theyre the ones who are in denial! ...thinking all pits and rotties are bad. That is true denial!

[quote]"They don't growl,'' says Gamez, who was also part of the team investigating the Shawn Jones mauling case in Richmond. "It usually just comes right after you. These dogs can just go off. And when they do, they cause tremendous damage.'' [/quote]
I do agree with this. There is a difference between a defensive, fearful and offensive dog. being defensive or fearful the dog will growl to warn the offending person/dog and the dog hopes the offending person/dog will go away. An offensive dog will basically attack with no indicaton, basically I will get you before you get me. There are many different forms of aggression, I have also witnessed dogs in predatory drift where they will "stalk" the victom (dog, cat...this could be a child or fearful person)...when a dog is in predatory drift they are hunting...they do not want to scare off the prey.
I have never been bitten on the job, but, I was attacked by my own Rottie when I first rescued her. She was playing with me and running around the field...when she got quite aways away I started jogging a little bit...this was the first time I had ever seen a dog go into predatory drift. She lowered her head just slightly then came running towards me at a gallop...when she got to me she grabbed onto my arm and vicously started attacking me..she ripped my leather jacket. I was able to grab her and throw her to the ground. I was going to send her off to the local Rottie rescue and let them decide weather she should be PTS when I started talking to my friend who is an animal behaviorist...she explained to me about predatory drift and we discussed it at length. She helped me with training Athena and managing her predatory drive etc.
Its now 4 years later and I couldn't imagine life without Athena...she has turned out to be the best friend a girl could have. I never trained her out of her predatory drive, but, I learned to direct it towards more positive things such as fetch etc. I "manage" her predatory drive.
So for me, I depend on watching a dogs body language for signs of being untrustworthy...I don't wait for growling or barking etc. :wink:
I guess this is why I have been able to work with dogs for over 20 years without being bitten on the job. I have also dealt with dogs which "look" really pleased and happy to see you (this is at the kennel) then you go in their kennel (the dog is simi cornered) and they are still wagging their tail, but, perhaps in a low stance...I have seen a dog go from wagging its tail with tongue lolling to full attack in mere seconds...I watch carefully for position of tail, position of ears etc. In my job I deal with going in & out of dogs kennels constantly....some dogs can feel cornered very easily. Some dogs respond negetively to fearful people as well.

I'm a huge fan of Badrap, but this is a major error:

" Denver just reversed their ban as ineffectual."

Colorado passed a law that forbids BSL. Denver is FIGHTING this new law in court, based on "home rule" provisions of the state constitution. Denver loves their anti-pit bull legislation, though (or because...) it results in the deaths of hundreds of innocent dogs and the harassment of numerous innocent, reponsible citizens every year.