Dogomania

Shih tzu hairs grooming

imported_shih_tzu

Hi shih tzu!
I am a dog groomer (well in training still :P ) and if you are wanting to know about trims there are many that shih tzus can have.
If your furbaby has a nice full coat and isn't knotty at all, the best trim would probably be a scissor or just a tidy up, basically just tidying up the edges, bottoms of feet, around the legs, bum and skirt etc, or slightly trimmed up all over (scissor) you can specify to your groomer the length that you want to go.
There is also puppy trim which is quite popular and is clippering around the body, leaving the legs, head and tail longer, but I am not sure whether this is acceptable for proffesional showing.
But if it is just general maintenance of the coat you are asking about, I would suggest using a gentle metal bristled slicker brush and comb to go through the coat every day.
Also when you bath him, you should use a doggy conditioner as well as a shampoo to soften the coat and keep it managable. And if possible dry him straight away as a pose to leaving him to dry naturally as the coat can go curly if left.
Hope this helps! x

You won't learn about show trims from most dog groomers..alot of dog groomers have just learned pet trims and clips. I would suggest you go to the breeder you bought your pup from and have her teach you how to keep your Shih Tzu in proper show trims. If your breeder lives too far away find another breeder of Shih Tzu's who will show you how to keep that long coat.

Unless you have a local groomer who specializes in show trims it would be best to seek the advice of a breeder who is showing. Most breed clubs are more than willing to help another up and coming show dog on its way to earning points. :wink:

The groomer I work for is a national certified master groomer...even she will tell me that she learned how to groom for show trims from top breeders of their breed. We keep alot of kennels in show form including Standard Poodles, Lhasa Apso's, Shih Tzu's...and way too many Newfoundland dogs :wink: my boss studies under some of the top breeders in this country (Canada) and she is very much sought out in our area by breeders to keep their dogs in show shape.
It's really sad in a way as my boss has a hard time showing her Newf's....when ever she gets to a show she finds herself running back and forth helping every one get their dogs ready for the ring...she comes back exhausted. :lol: