Dogomania

what to feed??

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello we have a new lab mix from our shelter. He is about 1 and 1/2 years old. He is the sweetest baby. Brought him home and he vomited all night. went to the vet and he said Parvo! So we have been nursing him back to health my problem is he wont eat dry food. I have only tried 1 brand but I also bought some canned so it would be easy on his tummy. Does anyone have any thoughts or have you been through this?? Thanks Tracy

Guest Anonymous

Do you know what he was being fed at the shelter?

Chicken is gentle on the stomach - don't give cooked bones. Our boys love chicken necks, chicken wings or chicken frames. Yoghurt is also helpful with diarrhea.

Depending on the severity sometimes withholding food for 24 hours and then introducing small portions of bland foods (eg rice, chicken etc) will help. If it continues and your boy is "not his normal self" then you will need to see the vet.

Guest Anonymous

the shelter fed him just whatever they had . I tried some dry food the first day but that night he started vomiting and the next morning the diahreah. I took him to vet right away and he said parvo was causing the illness. So we decided to keep him and nurse him back to health because the shelter wouldnt have tried to save him. He bonded with our kids immediatly and has been such an awesome dog even though he has been so sick. He did start eating again this morning 4 days after his initial vomiting. I fed him canned chicken and rice he loved it and kept it down. He seems hungry and the vet said to start off slow . He shows NO INTEREST in dry food at all!! Is that normal after being sick? He is really thin and since he isnt vomiting I would like to build his body up so how long should I stcik with the bland diet? Thank you all so much for your advice He is such a sweet dog I could never have let him go back to he shelter. Tracy

you can stick with the bland diet if you like, but if you plan on feeding it for a while, it needs to be balanced for a proper calcium-phosphorus ratio because meat without bone has by far more phosphorus than calcium.

if you want to stick with feeding a home made diet (which you might as well do if dry food isn't an option, since canned food is pound for pound more expensive than homemade food and you never really knoww hat's in it), dr. pitcairn's "complete guide to natural health for dogs and cats" is an excellent reference. it has properly balanced recipes which you can adjust for your dog's individual needs.

i would not put a dog on a raw diet until health issues are resolved and the immune system is strong enough to deal with it. it's better to build up to a reasonable level of health before attempting to introduce a greater variety of food items, especially in a raw state.

post edited for a mental typo. :oops:

[quote name='TDG']you can stick with the bland diet if you like, but if you plan on feeding it for a while, it needs to be balanced for a proper calcium-phosphorus ratio because meat without bone has by far more calcium than phosphorus. [/quote]
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you mean that the meat has more phosphorus than calcium, and calcium is the one that should be supplemented. At least that's what I understood from some of your earlier posts, TDG :D

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for all of your advice he is doinh so much better and actually ate some dry food today it is a chicken and rice base made by an all natural company! We are so excited he is eating again. Now to build his wieght up slowly :) Thanks, Tracy

[quote name='pei obssessed']
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you mean that the meat has more phosphorus than calcium, and calcium is the one that should be supplemented. At least that's what I understood from some of your earlier posts, TDG :D[/quote]

of course, that was a typo. :( sorry about that.
:oops: