Dogomania

Interesting thing happened last night

drjeffrock

So, normally when people come by my place I will take Dex outside for a walk, and walk in with the person, or I will crate Dex when the person comes over for a few minutes till he calms down a bit. Of course, the person is to ignore him untill he is sitting and behaving. Then he gets a treat or two and some praise. Dex has had some aggression issues in the past for those of you that dont remember. My brother came over to help me move an armoire as I am getting my old baby grand piano back from my parents.
So, I took Kira on a walk instead and met my bro outside.
When we came back inside, I guess Dex was a bit confused as he was lying down and suddenly saw my bro enter the house. Dex has met my brother numerous times and there has never been a problem.
But, Dex saw my brother and ran over to him. He started barking and jumped up on my bro. My bro is fine with dogs so he wasn't freaked out. However, I could tell my his body posture that he was not thrilled about someone coming in our house unannounced. He did not try to bite him or anything of the sort, but he did have his front paws up on my bro and was barking like crazy.
Kira saw that Dex's behavior was out of line, and I guess she thought he was going to bite my brother or something. She snarled at Dex, and gave him a couple nips to tell him to knock it off. He stopped momentarily, and looked at Kira kinda confused, then looked to me. I put him in a sit stay, and a couple seconds later he barked again at my brother.
Again, Kira snarled at Dex, and lunged forward to let him know she was not kidding around.
It was a very strange chain of events. Dex mellowed out in two seconds and was completely fine.
Once again, Kira proves herself to be quite the angel. I thought it was great that Kira showed Dex that his behavior was unacceptable.
Dex has shown a lot of progress since we adopted him. At first he was very distrustful of any stranger. Through NILIF and some other training methods, he has shown much progress. He doesnt pay attention to skateboarders, motorcycles, etc. I thought I was slacking off a bit with his training, and I think that what happened last night proved this.
Feel free to post w/ any comments. :wink: