Dogomania

torn pad on his foot

02Buster

not my dog but a friends dog has realy dry and cracked pads on his feet. one is actually as a little piece riped off and part peeled back and you can pull it a little and look inside.

i told him to take the dog to the vet. but i though i was ask here too.

will the pad heal.

would the product tuf-foot. (i think thats what its called) help in the healing.

how about that stuff called bag balm.

do pads heal on their own?

• 6 months later...
Guest Anonymous

this has happed to my aussie and rottie this year.. i cleaned it out with peroxide and then put neosprin on it and cover ited with a bandage. my ausies' eventually fell off cuse he would get the bandage off in the might andlick it. the rotties we put liquid bandaide on and it healedup great

• 4 weeks later...

My doggie tends to have issues with dry, cracked paw pads, especially when the weather is cold. Just like people get dry cracked hands in the winter.

If the paw pad isn't bleeding, it can probably be treated at home, though if your friend is more comfortable seeking the advice of a vet, then by all means, he should!

When you say, "you can pull it back a little and look inside"-- do you just mean you can pull the "piece" of dry skin off? I mean, what are you seeing "inside"? Does it bleed or is it just darker skin under there?

Anyway- this is what I do with my pup's paws. You want to get something to moisturize them a little bit, I just used vaseline or some hand lotion. The thing to remember, is that you don't want the paws to get too soft, because that can make them really prone to injury, eg, if a dog steps on a stick or a rock it could puncture the paw pad. So if you use lotion or vaseline, restrict it to once or twice a week, or less if the paw pad is getting soft.

(If it's bleeding, you want to clean out the paw pad. I would just use soap and water. If you use hydrogen peroxide, don't use it repeatedly because it actually inhibits cell growth and healing. Neosporin is a great idea, though.)

Then there are other things you can apply to the paw to toughen the pad and protect it -like you mentioned, Tuf-Foot (I'm not sure if that's the exact name either!) is one. I haven't tried that particular product myself so I don't know how well it works or if it is appropriate if there is an open wound on the paw.

One of the big things to help out the paw is to protect it when the dog is outside, especially in the winter, when people put out salt and there is ice. I tried using boots for my doggie, but he just never got used to them and they were kind of a hassle.

Instead, I use a product called Musher's Secret, which is applied to the paw pad and creates a protective film over it. It works really great, lasts for a few days, and toughens the pad up a bit, plus protects from cold, ice and sidewalk salt. I love this stuff. It's a bit pricey, but you can stretch a jar a long way.

The last thing is that whenever you apply something to a doggie's paws you want to keep them off their feet for a while to let it dry and soak in and prevent them from licking it.

Hope your friend's pup's paws start to feel better. Those cracked paw pads look pretty ouchy to walk around on.

Guest Anonymous

I just discovered the same problem with one of my pups' paws. I am using Musher's Secret to protect the paws from snow, gravel, salts, chemicals, etc.. A site that is very helpful is [url]http://beardie.net/hobo/advice/winter[/url] skin.htm Also, I was advised that because I am feeding dry kibble my pups may not be getting the essential oils they need. I am going to start giving them zinc, Azmira Biotin and Azmira Mega Omega (fish oil). The site for that is [url]http://azmira.com/[/url] I hope this will be helpful to anyone that has the same problem. My frend's dog's feet became very soft and supple after a week of the supplements. :)

Guest Anonymous

I just noticed that sscully talked about the Musher's Secret. I should have been more observant :oops: I also should have gone into the fact that yes, you should not let your dogs feet get too soft. I'm glad for sscully's reminder. You have to watch for that when you are giving the supplements. The Musher's Secret will also help toughen the paws while protecting them as sscully said. :o I must be more careful when giving advice!!