Dogomania

Natural pain relief?

Horsefeathers!

My Tucker dawg (Lab) had fho surgery on his right hip a couple of years ago. He's done really well since and we've been pleased with his recovery. However, there is still some extensive damage to his pelvis and back end that can't be fixed and he still has a bit of a limp when walking slowly. He's recently begun hassling and grunting pretty badly as if he's in pain. He doesn't sleep well at night and moves around a lot as if he can't be in one place too long. He's about 7 years old. The vet says that Tucker is apparently hurting (well, yeah). He has him on Rimadyl, but I really don't want to use that for longterm pain relief. Is there a natural remedy that he can take internally that may help ease his suffering? I feel so bad for my boy. :(

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0ZgAPA40gCqqHJusLSR!3T4Eo8GBmLmvxTkqjk73irC*67l4J1wMlzoisQSOR!XHGqTevCBhZwCZP7JJeP7uFJpAZa79mBHBj1QN!pGdJXihgu7cte!VLCCQGrl1zuIKIWCeDstKweFm*brPLC3LXNw/good%20boy%20Tucker.JPG?dc=4675379077582745599[/img]

Edit:
Tucker is already on glucosamine/condroitin/msm supplements. Also, I did do a google search on natural pain relief and do see lots of information. I guess I'm just really looking for input on something someone has experience with before I buy into some company's marketing hype.

I have had success with Yucca root...I am very pleased with the results. My Rottie has HD...for awhile she was having a hard time getting out of bed in the morning...after walks she would be uncomfortable etc. My Vet had advised me to give her metacam...I bought the bottle (just in case) and sought alternative herbs to help her...when I first started her on Yucca it took a week before it actually started to help her. I gave the bottle of metacam back to my vet and have seen my Rottie become much more comfortable, no more whining in the morning...its actually amazing the difference in her :o I also have her on glucosamine/condroitin/msm supplements as well as the yucca root...and with the Yucca root I give it to her every other day...when I first started I did give it to her daily. I also give her the MSM with Boswellia as well...when I give the Boswellia I don't give the Yucca ( I really hate to over do the amount of supplements)...I also give the Yucca root to my Newf with elbow dysplasia.
You can buy Yucca root at a health food store or buy it from solid gold dog foods...I was getting the Yucca root from solid gold...the only problem I had was the fact that it has peppermint in it...which is great, but, the smell of the peppermint was making my dogs turn up their noses at their dinners :-? its not in capsole form...so what I had to do was to save the opened capsoles from the Glucosamine and put the powered yucca root into the capsoles and hide it in peices of cheese or hamburg....turned out to be a real pain in the behind....now, I stick with the human grade yucca as it does not have pepermint in it. :wink:

On the Yucca root from solid gold they give the dosage levels to give the dog. When I have bought the human yucca root...I have taken a capsole opened it and put a pinch into my Rotties morning breakfast...one capsole can last me for a week. Considering the human yucca only cost about $6.00/canadian for 90 pills...this is a big savings. :wink: my idea is less is best...I don't like to over do any of the supplements I give my dogs.