Dogomania

Neighbors dog getting a little annoying

The neighbors Yellow Lab has started to come over to our place to play with Jesse. They have a great time together but today Jesse started to follow him from the yard. Jesse has never roamed before and I don't want him to start but he will with any more influence from this dog. Hate to break up their fun but I don't want Jesse to be a roamer. The lab reminds me of Tramp on Lady and the Tramp. What should I do if he comes over again? By the way, he's not neutered as far as I know. :-?

You can reinforce the boundary training. There are two other dogs where I live. One of them is an old golden retriever that Buck loves to go say hi to but before I allow him to do it he sits and stays at the perimeter until I say ok. The other dog has to come into my yard to play and Buck stops if Remington runs out of the yard. Just stay out there when they are playing and if Jesse wanders out of the yard say no and call him back. It works well for us anyway. Of course you still have to watch while they are playing.

You can also talk to the neighbor about the lab coming into your yard. Explain why it's a bad thing for you and Jesse. Do they have a fenced yard? Sometimes I'll ask if I can put Buck into Remington's fence so they can play for a bit. Usually when Remington is in my yard it's because he has gotten out of the fence so I'll let Buck and him play for a while and than take him back.