Dogomania

Doc's dumb question of the week, please help

science_doc

I have a friend who needs to get a dog from Oregon to Michigan. I was wondering if anyone has opinion's on shipping dogs by plane? My friend has found a company, Animal shippers or something like that?, that will send the dog by plane and gaurentees to take care of the dog in the event of a cencelled flight, etc. I was wondering about trains too, that seems to me to be a bit less stressful, but then who lets the dog out to go potty?

I was hoping for suggestions, personal experience, comments, anything to help us out. This dog belonged to my friend when she was younger and now mom and dad no longer have the time or the means to care for her. She is 9 and we really want to get her here to Michigan where she can have a good home living with someone she knows.

• 2 weeks later...

Mt friend who breeds Newf's flys with her dogs ALOT...she takes them to Bermuda from Canada every year...and has flown some to some of the dogs to the states which are too far to drive to. She has never had a problem..but this doesnt mean problems may not arise...the American Humane Association estimates that of the approximately 2 million animals who travel by air each year, some 5,000 are lost, injured, or killed...this is an estimate, no one knows the true number. If the dog is in the cargo area they can be exposed to the elements such as hot or freezing cold temperatures in the cargo hold and on the tarmac, animals can be subjected to falling off luggage conveyor belts or tossed around by careless or hurried baggage handlers, or the animal could be loaded on the wrong flight (just like the lost luggage) and the animal could end up at the wrong destination.
Things to consider before flying...make sure you have an airline approved crate...you can get this information from the airline. You will require a certificate from a veterinarian advising the airline the dog is healthy and completely vaccinated....some airlines require this no more than 10 days before the trip. You should also make sure the dog is used to being in a crate and make sure the dog is good at getting in and out of the crate...this will ensure the dog is emotionally comfortable in the carrier for extended periods of time.
-Try to get a direct flight
-Give yourself extra time before the flight so you have plenty of time to work through any problems which may arise.
-Don't feed the dog 6-8 hours before leaving
-Make sure the carrier has the identification securely attached...also include instructions & contact information for some one else at the destination who can take care of the dog.

I don't know any one who has travelled with their dog or had a dog shipped by train...is there any way your friend could drive the dog??? it would make a nice march break trip. :wink:

This "friend" of mine seems less interested in helping her dog this week :evil: I am really p***ed off! I DO NOT understand people at all! She comes running to find me with this terrible problem, then a couple weeks later she dosen't seem to care :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Thanks for replying I think this information is usefully anyway :oops: