Dogomania

digestive enzymes and probiotics

Pokey318

I have looked through the old post, but I'm still not sure I understand what I need to add to my pups diet.

The Vet had suggested Prozyme for my poop eating pup. She only does this if I put her in the back yard before I have walked her (which is not very often). Someone else suggested Solid Gold Seameal. I know several people who love the Missing Link. Are these all the same thing? Why use one over the other? Do any of these have probiotics in them or do I add that separately? Will yogurt do the job or do I need to add something else? What probiotics are there? Last question-will any of these supplements cause diarrhea? Piper is having a problem with that and I don't want to add anything else to her diet right now than can cause a stomach upset.

Sorry if these are stupid questions; this is all new for me. Thanks in advance for your help.

Sorry, I didn't make my self very clear. I'm not looking for a supplement for the poop eating, I'm just looking to give my pup what is best for her diet. The reason I have the Prozyme was my Vet gave it to me weeks ago when she was eating poop. I now don't let her play in the back yard by herself unless I know she has pooped already. I walk her on leash in the emply lot by my house. I clean that up imediately, so there is no poop eating there.

So many people use the Missing Link but I figured that was because it is available at all the pet stores. I have the Prozyme and the Solid Gold Seameal, but the Seameal isn't opened yet. Just looking for the best products for my little girl.

Enzyme supplements should be carefully used, because often they can cause pancreatitis. The pancreas breaks down enzymes, and when you give your dog supplements, the pancreas has a hard time breaking down the extra enzymes.

Are you sure that this is a nutritional deficiency causing his coprophagia? It's possible, bet extremely rare that a dog eats it's poop for nutritional reasons. Generally they do it out of boredom. What type of food is he on? Try taking one of his poops (and I know this sounds discusting), cut it apart, and place something spicy, like salsa, in it, and then kind of smush it back together. Dogs hate spicy things. You can also buy several things on the market that you spray on the poop. MAke sure you watch him when he's outside and correct his behavour. It can be harmless, but he could also get worms or other parasites from another dog's feces.

EDIT: Oopsies, sorry I called her a 'him.' :oops: hehe.

Good luck! :) I hope everything works out.

[quote name='wolfsoul']Enzyme supplements should be carefully used, because often they can cause pancreatitis. The pancreas breaks down enzymes, and when you give your dog supplements, the pancreas has a hard time breaking down the extra enzymes.[/quote]

the pancreas does not break down enzymes, it [i]produces[/i] an enzyme, namely insulin, which regulates the blood glucose levels.

personally i have never heard of any such thing as "enzyme oversupplementation".